I really am new to the site, but I am interested to find out what other people's thoughts are on Fire service/EMS ethics. . . .

Let me explain. . .

Currently I am a vol. FF here in MA, district 7. To be a FF in MA we are required to become NFPA FF I &II certified even on vol. departments. So those of us whom have been in EMS/FF service for a while are attending the required schooling.

In our class we have one individual whom has done nothing but try to undermine classmates, the instructors and even the course itself.

I recently had a discussion with her about this and she told me that she doesn't understand the need for any FF to learn basic operations of sprinkler systems, or how alarm sys work etc. She is also upset at the fact that she has been dressed down by a few instructors becuase she is having a hard time keeping up with the class work load and her full time job and she thinks she should be cut slack for it. Furthermore, she also is upset becuase she is having "equipment issues." See she is complaining that the rear brim on her "bucket" is too far back and when we conduct search and rescue drills she can't be on her knees and see forward becuase of her SCBA.

Now aside from the obvious issues this person has, I need to hear any opinions out there. I have told her that I think she is an idiot for thinking everyone is out to get her. She thinks she should be cut some slack becuase she is a woman, and I don't believe that in this profession that is acceptable. She believes that becuase she does not want to be a career FF that there is no reason why she be equally trained as the rest of us are, and she doesn't see any reason why she can't just repspond to a structural tone and hump hose while the rest of us go inside.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Am I the one off base here? Or is this person really difficult? Also, is this a common frame of mind? Have others run into this type of individual on there departments?

Views: 229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my, you guys are killing me... LOL!
Sean if you look, it appears to be a clothesline type material. I tell you what, that's one hellova fish :)
big fish, little fish

Interesting analogy.... The Big fish spits out all the little fish (aka lip flaps) and the little fish form an alliance and go for the big fish. (the words said are turned and used against the "big fish"
Very Interesting. :)
For the "Big Fish" to stay away from the "little fish"...I was being a smarta$$
See, things that make you go hmmmm
nice minnow. :) About the right sized bait fish for the salt water I do. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service