It's long been a tradition to have a "firehouse dog", does anyone's department have one? Any amusing or interesting stories regarding the dog living there?

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

While not the resident firehouse dog, "Blackie" deserves mention.

Blackie is the part Lab, part "other" pet of one of our senior members. He and his master are often found at the firehouse on meeting night, or down at the corner store hanging out with the other locals. During the monthly meeting Blackie goes from person to person just to say hi and get a pat on the head. Then he stretches out on the floor and gives great, luxurious yawns right in the middle of serious discussions.

In his younger years he would jump right up into the cab with John when responding to a fire call. As soon as the truck door was opened he jumped right up into the cab. The 3-man cab became a man-and-a-half with the dog taking up much of the front seat. I often had to move him over so I could get into the passenger seat. I wish I had a picture of them in the cab together.

If John drives the ambulance, a member usually stops by the fire house to check on Blackie since he's not allowed to ride in the bus and is confined to the car. We let him out to do his duty or give him some water or a treat if it's an extended trip into the city.

Now, Blackie can't get into the trucks any more and doesn't get quite as excited when the tones drop, although he still sings along with the siren during the Monday night test.
Being a volunteer dept w/ a lack of calls here lately (NOT A BAD THING, I SUPPOSE) We don't have a dept dog. Because one could only imagine the mess he/she would have made before one checked back in on HIM/HER. BUT my wife and I LOVE Golden Retreivers ( I KNOW NOT THE TRADITIONAL DALMATION) During local parades, or when I go to the station to do paper work the oldest Meise is usually w/ me! There has been many of times someone has jumped into a truck usually after a parade and made the comment. Meise must have been to the last parade... (She sheds pretty bad)

During a parade the kids usually love the site of a dog riding shotgun in the firetruck...... Meise just loves the attention. There is also buster but he is an ankle biter and rather annoying so we won't talk about him!!!!
I am a dog person .I've had 3 dogs that went to drill with me went to classes with me and helped teach.1st was Fuzz a black mix breed my brother says I stole Fuzz from him,his daughter says Fuzz and Budd bonded.He was a special dog,he just walked up and saidwhat do you want me to do,show me once and I will.Next came Chas the wonder dog :he wondered if he was a dog or a human.He finally decided he was human,there were just some strange people that walked standing up.He was a 100 lbs plus blondie almost white.Chas and Fuzz both dissapeared under rather strange circumstances.My wife let them out of the house on sunday morning and we never saw them again.This was about two years apart.Now we have Sadie a collie healer mix (I think).we've just been together for about a month and I haven't had a lot of time to work with her.She is learning though.As i go to the station to work during the week she goes with me and does her part,lying under the desk and sleeping.She hopefully will teach me what commands to give and be an attraction for the dept.
Well we had a Dog at the fire station named Draeger he was a black lab mix and the funniest story i have on him is this. Drager was allowed to go outside anyime we were without a leash cause he would listen and come when you called. well we parked our vehicles on a hill above the station. Well in the mornings all of us would pull our cars down to the station before we got off duty. Well one day he come outside with me while i was gonna pull my car down. About the time i started coming down the hill i look over and Draeger is running at my ca full speed not wanting to hit him if he ran out in front of me i stopped. The next thing i knew he had ran head first in to the side of my car. I guess he didnt see me stop but I thought it was the funniest crap ever. He was okay he just shook his head looked at me like why did i do that and then went on, i coulnt stop laughing for at least 5 minutes

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service