Whats your thought on dash mounted cameras? I think we all have a story about driving to the scene and that one motorist (or multiple) that add to stress levels. With a camera we could use the film to assist in drivers training. I also think if you have any extra manpower you can have someone on the crew to turn the camera to video the action on the scene of whatever your call is. Again the training aspect alone would be unmeasurable. I know in todays world the possability of lawsuits would make this a hard sell for some, but we are there for the job, and any assistance a camera could give us for fireground operations, and critique would be awesome. Anyone out there have a camera on board, and if so whats do you think?

Views: 378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

we do not have a camera but i think it is a good idea to get one and you could use it to film the people standing around too. you never know. you might catch some footage that might be useful if you have any arsons the person might be in the crowd.
absoultely. If you start seeing some of the same old faces in the crowd you can develope the pattern and it may assist investigators. Plus the first thing the Marshal asks is what did you see when you made entry. Wouldn't a camera be able to show the marshal perfectly?
This would be a great idea similar to police dash cameras. They could be used for traffic enforcement when motorists fail to yield to the fire vehicles as well as training since they will have a view of the scene also. You could go one better and mount cameras on both sides of the vehicle for some great views of the scene! The camera sees everything. This would provide some great footage for later critiquing of the incident.
hey brian her in Ga. when you turn on your red lights everything that happens is your fault. the law is as long as you do with due regard to saftey of both personnel and property. i agree it would do us great for scene critique but nobody has to yeild to fire vehicles under Ga. code. ther is a new law that says once you are stopped they have to give you a lane or slow down so if something happens they can avoid, but that is after your stopped. a helment cam has helped us on a scene critique so i think cameras are great.
Time to change Georgia State law to give fire vehicles right of way. Are they even considered emergency vehicles in GA?
The major problem with cameras is "you tube." These cameras catch the fools on the road and great scene photos but also catch apparatus operators mistakes first hand
here in tn...the law and drivers hand book says to "yield the right of way to any emergency vehicle" and safely pull to right if possible.but yet in evoc courses they teach you and are told by other emergency services that its not a law that they yield right of way that the lights/sirens are just merely requesting the right of way..and then again..troopers tell you to get tag numbers and u can prosecute for failure to yield right of way...or they will write u a ticket in heart beat for the same...so its darn if u do and darn if u dont i guess. but as long as we get there safely thats what counts.
The only issue with on scene with a dash mounted camera that I can see, is the vehicle positioning.

Unlike the cops who pretty much pull up behind stopped cars, we don't.

We generally park parallel to the curb and work from the sides of the vehicles and the surrounding properties.

If it was swivel mounted, who would remember to move it when they got on scene?
does anyone on ur dept have any of the helmet mounted cams? those could be a valuble asset while ridding in a crew cab, and are an asset while fighting the fire.. it could help in the critique afterwards... hope this helps with a different approach for recording or filmming...
We don't have dash mounted cameras but I understand the stress level thing. I was doing a ride with one of our local ambulance companies (there are two locally). We had a patient in full cardiac arrest in the back of our rig so we were going coded to the hospital. Most drivers were getting out of the way except for someone in an ambulance belonging to the other company. It was extremely ridiculous and the camera may have helped to have the driver of the other rig reprimanded.
What a load of crap!

As if there's not enough issues driving emergency vehicles, then fools like the one you mentioned do their thing, when in reality regardless of what uniform you wear or patch on your shoulder, we're meant to be there for the casualty.

Would've been fantastic to have a video of that to assist with the disciplinary action.... :)
Siren
how do you really feel?

I don't think I have ever gone on a call and had every car yield without following them for a block or two. Why let yourself get all up tight over it. If you are driving the way you should be then a car not yielding shouldn't be a real issue for you.

Michael

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service