The weeks following the attack of the WTC you couldnt by an american flag because they were sold out. Most days didnt go by without folks and neighbors stoping into my station just to say hello or dropoff cookies. Pan ahead 7yrs and most of my runs dont go by without me getting flipped off by a motorist for running lights and sirens and inconviencing him. Its like theyve completely forgot us...

We are our own worst enemies when it comes to keeping a good working relationship with the locals. Either your department is proactive and has firemens balls and open houses or they dont. I tell you, its nice to have people you dont know come up to you on duty at the store and say how nicely you handled a call for service to their home recently. A fire department that has the true support of the community is a powerful entity that can swing elections and dictate policies that command city halls attention.

What Im getting at is this: our big chance is coming up to let the public know we are still out there. We are still answering those calls whether its their friend who needs our service for trouble breathing or the guy who gave me the bird last week has wrecked his car. Some folks dont realize that there are other departments other than FDNY out there. Some citizens (YOUR citizens) may not even know if theyre are covered by a paid or volly outfit or the difference between the two. YOUR CHANCE IS COMING UP ON THE 4TH! It doesnt have to be an elaborate open house with all the pomp and circumstance. maybe it wiil be but it should be a little something though to get the citizens thinkin about the thin red line out there keeping them safe. We need their support.

Is it just another day for you? How will you mark the day?

Be Safe + Keep Fire In Your Life

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well well well! Did no reader know about 4th May being 'our' day? Guess what, I didn't either. That date is St Florians Day - the 'patron saint' of firefighters. Personally I think that St Murphy would be a better choice...

And the 'thin red line'? That name belongs to the British Infantry of the Napoleonic wars period. I'll stick to squirting water thanks, musket are nasty animals!

PS. My FRS ignored the day...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service