Does your department/service have SOP's or similar for multiple vehicles responding to the same call?

What I'm curious about, is whether they're allowed to follow each other or not?

We always taught that every vehicle responding, goes a different direction.

This had multiple reasons, but primarily-
1) Not all vehicles get caught up in the same traffic jams
2) Safety- Common problem is for civvies to give way to the first vehicle and not see or hear the second responding vehicle, resulting in a collision.
3) Avoids potential issues such as those depicted in my YouTube video, "How Not To Drive a Firetruck"

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Due to the fact that we run out of one station we sorta all have to go the same route but not often following each other. All of our regular drivers know to allow aprox 100 yards between apparatus and the newer drivers are coached by the officer on the truck.This gives us a little bit of reaction time when the cars pull back over to the travel lane. In addition when responding on automatic mutual aid calls(average 3 other departments responding) before we get to common intersections the officer is to get on the radio and announce that we are approaching the intersection so that we dont run into another truck.
We are just starting to work on this as part of our preplans for some of the larger structures. We run out of 2 stations and the truck responses are usually 2-3 minutes apart, so the following problem isn't too bad.

That is, unless we're going up one hill or the other and the tanker is somehow in front; then everyone follows "Pokey" up the hill at 15 mph.
ok a few pounts to look at
1 no garrinty that the truck gets to the sence so send more than one .
2 if you do allow trucks to follow MAKE SURE THAT THE SECOND TRUCK HAS DIFFERNT TONE ON THE SIREN. this will let the public know that there is more than one truck on the road. and to stay to the right
3 don't let your member tape the response going to calls if you do reveiw it before they put it out on the net , remeber it can be used against you in a court case or for funding when the town looks to get a new truck .
in my dept we normally get 4 or 5 trucks going to the same call but from differnt directions so you need to train your drivers on knowing the aera . look for hydrats and rember that not all are on the same mains . this gives you the chance to get more water and a safe arrivael to the scene . hope this helps good luck
For an MVA, we send the rescue truck and an engine. They go the same route. They run lights and sirens. No set order. Sometimes the rescue leads out; sometimes the engine leads out. Whichever gets ready first, goes first.
The problem is with POVs. We have it in our SOGs that they are to report to the station. The only way that they drive straight to the scene is if they are coming from the farm or work, a second page is dropped for more manpower; then, they can drive directly to the scene.
Cops don't like a lot of vehicles. It gives them too many things to do.
I don't like a lot of vehicles at the scene, because it gives the civvies more targets to hit.
And that's not good.
TCSS.
Art
our dept does respond multiple apparatus to certain types of calls, depending on the curcumstances. we usually dont get multiples units out at the same time but if we do then we try to stay a block or so apart from each other so our dept. does not get into accidents.
I think everyone has a truck like this- it goes and goes and goes- just not that quick!

We had one truck that we used to turn the lights and sirens off, when on the freeway as everyone was overtaking us and still NOT exceeding the speed limit!!!!
Both of our trucks roll out of one station and try to stay about a block apart. We roll 2 eng. to a fire alarm, 1 eng. wwill go lights and siren the other truck will go with traffic until we find out what is going on. Bomb calls Haz-Mat calls each truck goes in differnt drection.
Whether you run out of one station or four, for an AFA without confirmation of a fire, we use a tiered response. 1st due goes Code 3 and the rest moves with the flow of traffic. If confirmed with smoke on arrival or a second report, then the remaining assignment bumps up to Code-3.

This solves all 3 of your questions.
Umm....youtube issues, eh usually pretty safe driving practices here.
Famous last words! You've jinxed yourself now....
The only problem with You Tube is that it brings light to the fact that some drivers are idiots. Getting a piece of apparatus to the scene in 1 piece is much safer at a speed of 45 than it is 60. Watching a youtube video of a Engine and Ladder responding to a building fire where the Engine driver had no clue where they were going and almost drove past the scene. The ladder decided to attempt the corner for the road they almost missed (because they were watching the engine driver) and the ladder went up on 2 wheels (screeching tire) and luckily made it back onto all 4 without a wreck. Accountability of company officers for their drivers and enforcement of driving policies is imperrative to make it all work
I gotta tell ya, Thats a good one. Mutiple fire trucks going to the same call. Well its very true, that some go there different ways, but in my town, when my ladder truck is rolling, the driver will go on the radio and broadcast the intersections we are approaching, just in case another fire truck is coming. But even when we do that we had some really near misses at the intersections. At least our truck will slow down if we have a red light, but I gotta tell ya, some of our trucks will hear the broadcast and come barrel assing right thru anyway to try and be the first company on the fire scene. There's an old saying take it easy, because the fire is not going anyplace, but if the trucks collide somesome might be.
That's my video! I originally uploaded it to youtube!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service