What brand of leather helmet do you run? Mine is an '02 Cairns Sam Houston N6A. I actually bought it off eBay for $270. Got it and looked it up, the helmet is a deluxe version..its sells for about $500 or so brand new. Not a bad deal..

Views: 2046

Replies to This Discussion

in my 4 years in the fire service i have had 3 lids. A 1010, BenII, and my cairnsN6A Sam Houston which i love!
My first leather is a '01 Carns N5A New Yorker. Bought it new in '01 currently my back up. Just got elected into a lieutenant position. Wearing a company issued helmet untill i get my new N5A. the co. issued is no compairson to the new yorker fit!!! Hope my new lid gets here soon!!!!
I have a '90 Houston that I had to retire. The back had been baked off and rebuilt several times. Our department bought us Conways and we got to choose leather or composite. Of course I chose leather. The fit is great and thanks to it I survived a partial collapse.
Paint it!
Cairns even sells the paint.
In 1987 I was issued a Cairns 5A helmet with flip down eye shields by my first fire dept. I used it for about 4 years until the dept upgraded to the better generation of helmets. The purchased the Cairns New Yorker leather helmet with wrap around eye shield (not a great option when it came to calls with debris swirling around you that gets caught up in the shield and your eyes. Personally I like the flip downs (yes they provide less protection but debris blew away faster). I am especially proud of my helmet on a school room fire. I entered with the hose line to knowk the fire down when the drop ceiling let go and fell in on us traping us for a few minutes while we disentangled ourselves. I kept alot of metal and wire from hurting us. My New Yorker lasted me until 2001 when I left the dept and joined another. I was fortunate enough to be able to bring it with me and use it there for a few years. This helmet had the flip downs now (put on by myself) and a nice and curled "Bronx Bend" (don't care what anyone says it made crawling with a Scott Pak 2.2 and 4.5 more comfortable) This helmet was "salty" and I still have both generations of helmets hanging in my garage. Leather forever! -Cows don't burn!
I wear a n6a houston, wouldnt wear anything else. Dept. issues wheel chocks. Finally got the chief to approve the traditional.
I think the leather helmet is still the best helmet. It brings all the prestige and history. To see the history of the fire helmet from 1658 to 1918 log on www.firehelmetbook.com , this book explains it all with nice photos and stories.

Best regards Martin
I have a Natural color N5A that i got in December.
i have a cairns n5a new yorker
I wear a Cairns N5A and I would't give it up for the world.
I'm on my 2nd. Used a yellow Conway American Heritage as a firefighter & Engineer. Now have a red Conway as a Lt. been wearing a leather for about 12 years now. Love it. Leather forever!!

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service