That "other" fire website has once again run their annual "Heroism Awards".

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=46&a...

I hate this whole concept! Sure there's members that perform some outstanding rescues and saves, but do we need to promote them?

Unfortunately many members die or are seriously injured as a result of inadequate risk assessments when on the fire ground. The risk is often far outweighed by the results- we have to stop killing ourselves and risking our lives. Sure it's a dangerous job, but do we need to continue to not wear PPE correctly, risk our lives for little or no benefit, etc, etc?

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I should clarify, I'm not against recognising some of these achievements, but the whole"Heroism" and "Hero" label concerns me....
I'm on the fence on this one. In cases where exceptional courage and determination clearly "above and beyond the call of duty" is displayed, I think that should be recognized. There are other situations that fall under the normal expectations of the job and probably shouldn't be.

For instance, a few weeks ago we had a medical "save" where we shocked someone back to life. Some non-EMS people might think that's truly amazing - and it is, really - but that's what we are trained to do, and we did it.

Does it feel good? You bet! Should we get an award for it? No effin' way THAT's going to happen. We were just doing the job.
Well said Joe. I agree that some "above and beyond the call" stuff should be recognized, while most of the "just doin' the job" stuff maybe shouldn't. And I would hope that there are not firefighters out there that are doing bonehead moves in the hopes of ""winning" a medal! The posthumous award doesn't help your family. Just my 2 cents, stay safe!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service