NFFF Sues FETN Over Everyone Goes Home Name

SUSAN NICOL KYLE
Firehouse.Com News

INDIANAPOLIS -- The National Fallen Firefighters' Foundation has filed suit to protect its "Everyone Goes Home" copyright and domain.

The measure was taken against Fire & Emergency Training Network (FETN) that has produced a training program entitled "Everybody Goes Home".

The suit came after extensive negotiations between NFFF and FETN officials failed, said Dennis Compton, chairman of the NFFF board.

"We worked hard to resolve this issue. But, we were not successful. It's something we feel strongly about," Compton said Friday afternoon.

FETN is a long time producer of training material for first responders. Their EMS Advisory Board lists a significant group within the fire service industry.

Compton said the use of such a similar slogan, the difference being NFFF's "everyone" and FETN's "everybody" to the foundation's worldwide logo is inappropriate. "We've filed suit asking that they discontinue using their mark."

Danny Hammett, president of the group that developed the training program, could not be reached for comment.

A FETN representative in the booth on the exhibition floor of the Fire Department Instructors Conference (FDIC) underway now in Indianapolis, where the "Everybody Goes Home" training program was being displayed, said he had no comment on the issue.

Foundation members said they felt the use of "Everybody Goes Home" is confusing to the public.

Compton also said the foundation has a copyright, and has to defend it. "If we don't, why would we have gotten one in the first place?"

The FETN web site describes the Everybody Goes Home Interactive Simulation Courseware as, "Everybody Goes Home" provides the opportunity to develop first-hand experience and split-second decision making skills in a variety of emergency situations that cannot be safely created at a training facility."

NFFF Chairman Emeritus Hal Bruno said he stands behind the effort to protect the program. "It should not be used for something commercial purposes. Our mission is to honor the dead by helping the families of the fallen heroes. I don't know that it would be supportive of our goals."

Further, Bruno said the foundation has a responsibility to the families of the fallen heroes to react. "The average person may think it's one in the same. It's too close in proximity..."

FETN is part of the TWL Knowledge Group.

I'm just wondering what everyone is thinking about this!!!!
and i'm glad for ur input!!!

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wish there wasn't lawsuits but c'mon, FETN sure picked a theme that sounds mighty close to the NFFF slogan.
Another lawsuit! While I see the point of it, wouldn't it have been easier just to create a new slogan? The cost of this suit certainly could make a lot more training materials available to everyone. Scholarships for classes and materials that small volunteer depts can't afford to pay for? Just a thought! Anyway "Everyone goes home" - "Back to their families"-"Train well, Stay safe", "Learn it, Use it, Stay alive". There are many ways to say "We all want to return home"
You took the words right out of my mouth! You'll be hearing from my attorney! LOL. But seriously, I think it could be considered a copyright violation, but then again, how much money are they going to waste on this lawsuit, rather than just get a new slogan? Money that could be used to help with training materials, etc. We're all going to pay for it. Stay safe!
One Question!!!! How far are we to take This???? Both NFFF and FETN are here to Help us!!! It's all about Firefighters helping Firefighters!!!! RIGHT???? (No one else is going to Help us YOU know!!! So we have to help ourselves!!!!) Are they going to take it so far that i can't even say Everyone Goes Home or Everyboby Goes Home on here without fear of being sued???? because I know I had an Instructor that always put on his slideshows and training material. that one to the Goals/Objectives of all training be it just classroom, practical, or live fire.... (Remember: Train the Way u Play!!! Because u'll Play the way u Trained!!!) was Everyone goes home!!! Is this Wrong???? Is this objective not Primary??? So why can't anyone use it??? I know that when i leave my House with my 3kids and my wife still sleeping at home that my only concern is to come home save and sound the next morning!!! So i'll take any training that will help me in doing so!!! Because I WILL COME HOME!!! And this should be the mindset of all of us!!! Am I Right??? Because If we Practice alil more what we Preach then We WILL ALL GO HOME!!!! Maybe that NEEDS to be the Slogan!!!! "WE WILL GO HOME!!!" That's the mindset u need to have!!!!!
It hurts the U.S. Fire Service, period!
There is only Two winners in a lawsuit and thats the Lawyers

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service