Our department is in need to replace one of our ambulances. We currently have all the same mfg's, but are not happy with the units we have. So we're looking to change. The type we have now is not important, being I'm not one to out any mfg down. I'm more looking for some of your input on what you think is a good reliable mfg of a BLS truck, type III, for a rural setting. Thanks in advance. Don

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't help you except to say we are starting to look also. Our 1993 Ford/MedTech is getting long in the tooth and should have been replaced years ago, except it has only 40,000 miles on it.

We're looking at something comparable, a type III but with 4WD since we are also in a rural area with plenty of hills. Other departments around us have gotten 4WDs but I can't recall who the manufacturers are.
We have a 4 wheel ford van nose conversion. BIG MISTAKE! When we replace that one it will not be a conversion 4x4, it will be a pickup style nose with factory 4 wheel drive. But kind of the same thing here, we're replacing a three year old rig with low mileage: around 50,000. We try to replace them every three year or so.
well at my station we have a chevy 4500 with a horton box its a very good unit thats if ur company wants a medium duty ambulance, and the box is very user friendly and has more than enough comperments for supplies also it has the duramax diesel which is very quiet and has an outstanding turnning. if u want u can email me at jay4mva@yahoo.com and i will be happy to send you some pictures of or unit
Braun. Braun, Braun.....roll cage, quiet, sturdy, well lit....and you can re-chassy them. we have 3 in our fleet and we'll never go with anything else again.
Our department has a Road Rescue,both med duty, and Type III and are very happy with those types. They are customs but I know that they have stock types there. Might I make a suggestion that you pick up one that could expand to work as an ALS type.This will allow your for your truck to expand when you dept. has to meet the demand of your area,and will allow for more equipment in the truck. Adam.
One local department has an American LaFrance that's been in service for 7 years. You might check with American LaFrance.
American LaFrance has gotten out of the manufacturing business, both for fire apparatus and ambulances. My suggestion for an ambulance is make sure you get a chassis strong enough to support the weight of the box. If your rig has less than 50, 000 miles, you might look at an alternative method of getting the box remounted onto a new chassis. More cost effective in the long run.
Are they gone for sure now ?! I heard they filed bankrupsy but I did not know that they closed .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service