Lately we lost a brother and sister, and then yesterday a FF in W VA fell through a floor...
When did we forget the about the basics of firefighting...
No person ever forgets to put on their turnouts before going in a working structure, nobody ever forgets to take a hoseline with them in a working structure.
We never forget the common seen on TV things, but what about sounding floors, roofs while ventilating, looking at structial components while working in the structure. How many family and friends have to be hurt or killed before we remeber the basics?
Our safety is first, if we are hurt or killed than we can't do our jobs......

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Unfortunately my friend, we do forget all of those things.

YouTube is loaded with videos of members operating in and around structures in jeans, no BA, etc....
I WOULD ALL HOPE THAT WE WOULD REMEMBER OUR BASICS,BUT I BELIEVE WHEN PUT INTO A BAD SITUATION THE SIMPLE THING AS BASIC FEAR TAKES OVER AND WE FORGET.. OR SOMETIMES WE ARE IN SUCH A BIG HURRY TO DO RIGHT AND TO HELP THAT AGAIN WE FORGET.. I MY FRIEND CALL THAT BEING HUMAN
3 words: Training, Training, Training! I forget who said it, but you have to train the way you would actually do the job...(or something like that). If we don't continually train in a certain skill, then we are doomed to forget that skill. Stay safe brothers, (and sisters).
I agree it is human, however in this industry, you'll soon be a dead human...

We're no good to anyone if we're dead or injured. Take the time to do the job right.
We recently had a change in our command...and now the Chief is a real stickler with training.....we started right out with the most basic of basics....where everything is on every truck AND the proper way to use them....One would be surprised at the number of "veteran"firefighters that "forgot"....It is great going to training where it can and will make a difference....All the high tech and the "new" stuff are great but it still comes down to being able to put the wet stuff on the hot stuff.....The saying is "You fight the way you train" Learned this concept many years ago in the military and it couldn't be more right...Stay safe Brothers/Sisters...and always Keep the Faith.........Paul
Just like I have said before:
Firefighters coming out of academy after six weeks acts like they have five years of experience. The others on their fire department treats them like they do.
I think at times, we are trying to grow our firefighters too quickly and as a result, we concentrate on the TASKS and not enough on the SCIENCES. Building construction and fire behavior are two sciences that should be required and then done yearly with everyone.
Behaviors are killing us; our's and fire.
TCSS.
Art
Tom:
Tell your boss for me that Safety PAYS, if you have written policies and procedures based on proven methodology, follow them, monitor them and revise them if necessary.
It will COST you if you don't.
And then, there's always that risk/benefit model.
Lick your finger and stick it in the air. Feel that?
That's LUCK.
TCSS.
Art
I didn't have time for lunch today.
The bike is a 2004 HD Road King.
Black and chrome.
Art
Ladies and Gentlemen, all I am saying that there needs to be more put into our training than "normal" drills.
I went to a training with a township recently that was all about RIT/RAT/FAST TEAM, but they never went over the "WHY" of the MAY DAY...
Training, Training Training.... Basics is the answer. Many of our younger guys, if they are on the first team in, are doing the right thing, when many of the older guys laugh at them and do treat every fire the same....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service