Last fall I had my first interview with a city FD. Durring that interview, I had this question:
You are called to the scene of a pedestrian vs car. The driver is a black male virtually uninjured and the ped. is a white male. unconcious and critical. While you are treating the ped. a large group of people starts harassing you about only treating "the white man". Other than calling for PD, what do you do to defuse the situation?

I am due for a second interview next week and I have NO idea how to answer this question! I don't have a predjudice bone in my body, but I just don't know what to say. Last time I just said I don't know because I couldn't figure out how to word it. Please let me know what you think I should say. It's been driving me nuts for months ands I don't want to look bad again.

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just try to calmly explain to the bysyanders (as you continue to care for the patient) that the driver of the car is barely injured and the pedestrian is critical, and that the color of their skin has no bearing on the situation. Hopefully this will activate the groups' common sense and they will calm down. If not, try to maintain scene safety and care for the patient until P.D. arrives. Also, try to avoid getting into a shouting match with the bystanders. If they don't get it after your first explanation, they never will. Good luck on your interview and stay safe!
Have one of the bystanders help with the uninjuried man, explain to him quickly that his conditions appears to be ok, all the ABC's are ok and if anything changes come get me. Then go to the injuried man and start working him. Again ask a bystander to help, they will feel involved and doing something other than setting there and screaming at you.

I would make no mention of race or who is guilty of the accident BECAUSE YOU ARE TREATING PATIENTS NOT COLORS OF PATIENTS. ALL PATIENTS BLEED RED AND OUR JOB IS TO KEEP IT FROM DOING THAT!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service