My blog is experiencing technical difficulties (probably user generated) so I figured I'd post on the forum. It's short anyway, so maybe it will cause some of the Nation's users to think a little.

Sometimes I read a post on here from some hell-raising, ready-to-go, new firefighter who has been issued the license to go fight fires, has had the training, but now they are limited by their inferior leadership. Now while that may very well be the case, I have the luxury of some experience, and know that this is not ALWAYS the case.

Once upon a time, I was helping teach a shoring class, and one of the young bucks in the class made a snide remark about my technique, which was demonstration quality, but no where even near as flawless as the other instructor, who I consider one of the best in the business. I thought about it and should have replied, "you are probably right, but when you are thinking later about who was persistently developing plans, working the numbers for budget, and working the politicians to fund it all, remember that your technique in that venue probably sucks. So since I can do both and you are learning to do one of these things, it's probably best if you shut up."

But, no, I didn't say any of that, although shutting him down in front of everyone would have been satisfying, it's counterproductive. My point being, the next time you are questioning the technical competence of your chief, maybe it's time you thought about all of what they have seen before you, and what they do behind the scenes in order to get you the tools, the training, and the other stuff you need to do the job. And yes, there are plenty of chiefs who don't do any of it well, but I would bet that there are plenty out there who do, and you never just say "thanks" to them. I'll bet it would make their day and probably elevate you a little in their eyes as well.

Views: 160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Chief, right on target. There are even more little "educational notes" that some of the younger firefighters need to take a moment and listen to or even better get smart and know them already before communication is ruined. It seems that today's firefighters have a great attitude for the job but rarely stop for a moment and think about anyone other than themselves. One then begins to wonder if when the chips are down will they stop and think about themselves or will they think of the greater good of the rest of the team? I know for sure I was not raised to be that way.

Don Zimmerman, Battalion Chief

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service