I will be starting as a volunteer in June and have heard that there can be issues in regards to the treatment of Volunteers and paid FF. I would appreciate any information, advice, or comments.

Thanks!
PLEASE BE SAFE!
:-)

Views: 239

Replies to This Discussion

The area in Michigan that Iam from has only a few full time departments the rest are all paid on call. Both of the departments Iam on are bordering one of the full time cities, we have a very good working relationship as many of the guys on the full time department have come from one of the paid on call departments. The biggest problem I have noticed is the union for the full time guys, they are not permitted to be on a volunteer service regardless of where they live (many still live in our jurisdiction) I think in general if you maintain a professional image in your department then it is seen as just that, but if its a poorly run, poorly trained service its going to get a negative image not only from the full time crews but also from the other volunteer departments that work hard to train and keep current on the latest operations. We have had a major turn around in attitude on both departments here in the last 10-15yrs, no longer is there alcohol in the firehouse, gone are the days of the weekly meetings just being a card playing booze night. Now we train, we have several trainings a year with the local full time department on vehicle extrication and water shuttle, they depend on us for mutual aid for major traffic accidents and in the event they lose hyrdant coverage to any part of the city. Just remember to always keep training, maintain that professional image and you shouldnt have to many problems.
my department is mostly vol. .there are 2 full time day guys and there great. volunteering to the department was the best thing ive ever done. everyone is vary nice both full time and vol.
We are an all Volunteer Dept in NY City and get along well with the companies in our area we have communication with them prior to their arrival, so they know what they have coming in. The companies that are relocated to our area have never worked with us and are some what lost at seeing us, but we operate the same way. There are always going to be paid BROTHERS that dont like vollies but i believe that is their union feeding them nonsense about us taking their jobs.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service