I'm going to be testing on and off for a few days turning on a function that limits viewing profiles to ONLY members.

Let me know your thoughts. Essentially, unless someone is logged in, they can't view a user's profile. They can still browse all the content, pictures, videos, etc., just not individual profiles.

Depending on the results of that, I may add a second feature that will let users control whether to make their profile viewable by friends only but that probably isn't likely. It would totally be your option if I do test that.

Thanks
Dave

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's a great idea!
The first idea is a very good one!

On the second idea, as long as it's up to each user, and not a blanket policy, I think it's okay. My reservation is that ONLY allowing friends to view profiles will drastically reduce the amount of "Social Networking" going on in the site. Basically, only people who already know each other will be freinds with each other but Networking with new people will be stifled.

GM
Dave:
You probably already know my opinion on this.
I think it's important that a profile is available at the very least to the members because there are so many out there today who aren't who they say they are. It is not hard to contrive a profile, since I believe that you only verify the ISP.
Shutting down the view of profile to non members could motivate more to join, but again, you will get some pretenders, wanabees and "fans" who just want to "look".
I am always troubled that a website such as your's can have so many members who have no interest in stating their opinions and discussing the fire service topics of today.
If they just want to look, they should join an on line shopping site.
As you know, only a small percentage of the members actually discuss. They "shop", but they don't "buy"; if you know what I mean.
But, you are doing a great job of being responsive to your members.
Keep up the good work.
Art
Good idea!
Most people as we know don't want to discuss. Its not just this site...its every site, every type of site, not even just fire service. Just human nature.

I wouldn't let it trouble you though ... people still read and browse, so they pick up on the intent, thoughts and ideas in the discussions, blogs, stories, etc.
Most people as we know don't want to discuss. Its not just this site...its every site, every type of site, not even just fire service. Just human nature.

I wouldn't let it trouble you though ... people still read and browse, so they pick up on the intent, thoughts and ideas in the discussions, blogs, stories, etc.

That is so true, but there's nothing wrong with wanting more discussion, is there?
Check that; nothing wrong with wanting RESPECTFUL discussion!
TCSS.
Art
LOL. No, there isn't :)

I think over time, just like other sites, people will more and more get into the forums, I think we're already seeing that. it takes a certain mass of people to really make it even more active. Especially since primarily people come here for the social network aspect and typically they are not 'used to' engaging on higher level discussion or blogs (beyond personal ones) on those types of sites (Facebook, MySpace, etc) ...
You'll also note I'm testing 'ratings' on the forums :)
i like this idea
Well, like I said before about the "lurkers", I have been contacted by several non-firefighter people who said they have read my blogs and yet they did not join (probably because they understood that little "social site for firefighters, etc." to mean, "not you"). Very recently some chief officers from around the country whom I have respected for years have contacted me and said that they read one of my blogs and wanted to comment, but not in a forum where they might be called out on their viewpoints.
not to mention that it makes being a stealth ninja pretty darned tricky.
Ah, the trouble with having opinions :) There are oooodles of lurkers.

Possibly anonymous commenting is coming, but....then you wouldn't know whose opinion it is ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service