I have noticed these words being used a lot in posts on here. Let me start with some of the "young guys" that use Gung Ho I am glad your ready and able but being Gung ho is not really a positive thing You may feel it but please learn old mother fire needs respect and I hope you learn that before you run somewhere you shouldnt. Slow down be smart and do the job. Glory seeking is a negitive term no matter who you are, if you do this job to be Bull from back draft please stay away from me because if you think you are going to run through fire with no SCBA and a white shirt on and see a child across a burning room and run out with a child under your arm and your shirt is still white?? I have made grabs and been lucky to be there but I know if I was not someone else near me would have and that feels as good knowing. I have also pulled the person I was to late out and that sucks no matter what.. Last old Guy I just hate because damm it I am old@!!!!!!!!!

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess being in the fire service for 18 years nakes ne one of the "old guys." I agree with y'all. you need to respect the fire. I see these ging ho firefighters with stickers or t-shirts that saf "NO FEAR" & i stay away from them. A lot of them want the glory, but don't want to get dirty. Let me tell ya, I don't mind getting dirty & the glory oesn't phase me. As long as I read the fire right & know what it can do, I know things will work out. Tunnel vision is a firefighter's nightmare. If yad don't see the smoke seeping from between the bricks in the wall, then you're missing vital info. Yes, we have to be aggressive, but be smart at the same time. Train the way you play, then you'll be ready for the little suprises that come up. Have good leadership. There are departments out there that are more of a social club & spend thousands of dollars on "adult beverages" & little to nothing on training. These departments scare the hell out of me. These dep[artments attract the gung ho rookies that want the glory & know everything there is ab out firefighting after they graduate basic training. But, they don't train properly or at all. They feel that the fire won't get them. They don't listen to the veterens trying to show them signs of problems. They just want to get done, look good for the cameras & go home to party, saying they opened up a can of whoop @ss on the fire & beat the hell out of it. No lessons learned here. Anyway, tags like young guys, glory seekers, gung ho, old guys, etc. are just words, they don't hurt me, but they can physically hurt someone else, especially if they feel "NO FEAR" of the fire.
bump....more pertinent than word games

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service