An inquiring mind wants to know: Does your dept have an EMS LT or CAPT? If yes, what are the qualifications, is it a voted, appointed or application position, and is the position necessary from large on down to the smallest of depts (volunteer and/or paid).

Views: 196

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have both EMS Captain and Lieutenant. Volunteer department, 130 +/- runs a year, 4 to 7 EMTs and a couple of CFRs.

The qualifications are: member must be an EMT in good standing with the department. Activity level is a factor. In our department it's whoever will take the job, really. I spent 6 or 7 years in that position before I made it known that it was someone else's turn to step up.

Traditionally the EMTs have gotten together at the November or December EMS meeting to decide who takes the job of captain and lieutenant, and the Chief approves the selections. If any voting is done only the EMTs and CFRs can vote.

The chief duties of the EMS officers are to make sure the rig is ready to go 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is properly stocked with supplies. Ryan White duties, training and mediating fights are also collateral duties.
I should add that our department runs a BLS ambulance, as opposed to a first responder/rescue vehicle. To fend off the ever-increasing requirements imposed by the NYS DOH and other regulatory agencies the EMS Captain (f/k/a Ambulance captain) position is an absolute necessity.
I work for a medium size dept. About 90 guys or so. IAFF Local 1651. My dept runs 2 ALS rescues (ambulance). Each platoon has a rescue Lt. on one truck and a Capt. on the other. Totaling 4 Capt. and 4 Lt.'s. To be a rescue Lt you have to have been on the job for at least 4 years, and be ALS. You then take a written test. They account years of experience and education also. The Capt. is is basically the same.
Yes, We have a Capt for EMS....it is a voted position and one must meet the qualifications....ie..Cert Emt or higher, it is manditory that everyone in the dept have EVOC.....I think it is necessary to have this position....the Chief simply cannot manage every aspect of every type of service provided...He/She must have people that can be trusted and that will get that part of the job done.....they answer to the Chief. We also have a Dive Captain and Lt. and are thinking of adding a Tech rescue captain as well....Thay are so to speak the right hand of the Chief......Stay safe all........Paul

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service