I have been noticing latley in my FD and other forums in the world of firefighting that alot of people dislike young succesful guys.

For example a recently promoted Lt. told me that he wanted to get promoted so he wouldn' have to work for a young punk with a college degree. WOW I thought I think that was directed @ me.

Now I respect the elder generation fo the fire service my dad is that genertation 30 years in various dept. (industrial, structural, career, and vollie). I realize that the elder generation is what made it possible for me to do this job that I love.

But I don't think the elder generation realizes that:
1. The fires they fought are not the fires we fight today, they need to evolve.
2. They built the FD but we are the future and if they don't help us along in our infancy then what they built will surely fall.

I am a young gung ho guy who trains all the time (just ask my wife) and the older guys seem to resent me for it. When I put in for leave they give me crap about taking another class. Thankfully not all of them in the dept. are like this. Some really reached out to me and we have taught each other alot.

So I just wanna know what you guys think. Do you have this problem? or Are you this problem?

Views: 664

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really don't see a problem.
What I have noticed is that when I was younger, most of the guys on the department and all of my fire instructors were older than me. And I learned a lot from them.
Now, I am one of the oldest and I've noticed that most of the guys on the department and most of the fire instructors are YOUNGER than me. And I still learn a lot from them.
Funny how that works.
I guess respect can travel both ways if you cultivate an accepting environment.
TCSS.
Art
Dave I can't tell you not to take things personal because that would just be wrong. I know how you feel when you say that you try to learn things and bring it back. Things don't always work out that way, check out the comments below from "xchief22", this brother has a great out look on this situation... we are always students, you can learn alot from the senior guys and they can learn alot from the newer guys as well. Your situation sucks because "YOUR CO-CALLED BROTHERS" are only screwing themselves by dicking with your efforts. I know you, I know how your are, just keep doing what you are doing, the guys that screw with you do it because they feel threatened by your efforts. I know your company and they should be joining you instead of fighting you. Stay safe bro. p.s. We have applications available, sack up and join.
Dave, your doing a good job. Don't let the A-holes in our company get you down. I have had my gear messed with also and stuff stolen. I don't complain because I don't want anyone to get satisfaction for these cowardly acts. If I catch them doing it I'm going to kick some serious ass though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service