It has come to my attention that there is money set aside in your homeowners policy for fire Department Services, broken equipment, etc. With Budget cuts and to be honest, not taking money from our operating budgets is this a practice departments follow? If so how do you go about it. I am in NJ so I and not sure how this wonderfully corupt state would handle this. Please advise.

Todd

Views: 152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most insurance policies have this. It is usually only about $1,000. I know a few departments that do bill the insurance companies....if they pay, good. If not, they do not go after the home owner.
Roots,
We bill for most calls we go on that we actually do something on(extrication, house fire, crash cleanup). We use a third party billing company and if the insurance company doesnt pay we do nothing else. Most insurance companies have money set aside for that type of expense. As far as false alarms o that is done by a local ordinance from the township, i think they charge for every alarm after 3 or 5 year. If you want more info on the company we use send me an email. We've been billing for 6 months now and think we are up to 3k in reimburements or so
The only thing about BILLING on a call is look at your states rules our states that no 501c3 can bill or they lose there non-profit/charity status
Our Department is starting this... and like the other post said if they pay thats fine but we will NOT charge the homeowner... I know this might be an issue with some people, but our department has no spare money and this will help us keep up our equipment.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service