We used the straight nozzles for years and when your gloves got wet or icy it was alittle bit of a struggle to hold. when we switched to the pistol grips made it a lot easier to hold and a lot easier to advance in a structure fire. Was wondering what other stations prefer?

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We mainly use pistol grips........ so much easier to advance or hold on to.
I like the pistol grips for a few reason they are easy to hold and advance you can haul them up outside on a rope with ease but they do have a few draw backs like getting caught up and breakage. The new nozzles we have now I have issues with the slect stream and dual shut off you can make a mistake thinking because the handle is forward its off but you need to have the select in the right spot as well they have beena problem and most new nozzles to handle the wear like the old ones
I love the pistol grip!!. You can get a combination nozzle or even a straight bore pistol grip. I agree without one, you lose your hold bigtime
i actually prefer straight nozzles. standard practice at my fd is that the nozzleman should keep the nozzle out in front of him/her...with the pistol grip nozzle, it's alot easier to wind up with it right under your armit if your backup ain't that great. now my fd has pistol grips but i try not to use them
Depending on the situation,Interior:pistolgrip its easier to hang on to and pull around and if need be you can use the grip for handle to drag someones ass out of a bad spot.Straight nos is good any where it has been around forever and proved itself invaluable
We've used pistol grips for several years now. I think they are much easier to handle if you're on your own...which we are a lot in our dept.
I prefere the pistol grip. I love them.
I agree Sandy while the Pistol Grip is nice to have if needed I like keeping the nozzle out in front if me especially if the fire is over head. Like everything else we carry on the truck the tool is there if the situation calls for it.
I prefer the straight nozzle. I like to keep the nozzle about 4-5 feet in front of me, it makes doing your "patterns" alot easier with 4 feet in front rather than under your arm. I dont mind the pistol grips, but I've found that they like to catch wires and other obstacles real easy if your trying to do an upward attic/2nd story attack
My station uses pistol grip. that is the onlyway to go. as you said it is easier to advance the line into a structure. however people complain that it gets caught on furniture and corners when trying to exit. i tell them as long as you keep hold of the nozzle like your suppose to you wont have that problem.
i like the straight nozzles thats what i was trained with
Pistol grips. I've got small hands and I just feel I have more control.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service