I have been doing since we wore boots and long coats SCBA's weighted twice as much and had big thick hoses and a huge hot metal regulator on front. I remember fighting over bunker pants being a bad thing or how a pulse Ox on an ambulance was a stupid tool and Bi-carb was a first line Cardiac drug.

With that said I never stop learning or training and practicing I read what I can read I try new ideas I go to new training classes Last year I took a 140 hr confined space rescue class I am 6'2'' and 275 lbs this room is a confined space but I wanted to learn. I am RIT trained and certified and I find new ideas and toys for that all the time So in a nut shell if I ever feel like not training, learning and practicing I will get off the truck and never ride again.

Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love training. I wish that we could do more of it, like every day lol.
Riding the tailboard, throwing my stuff up onto the hosebed and getting dressed while enroute, first airpack was a Scott 15 minute "side slinger", 3/4 coat, hip high boots, plastic helmet and rubber coated gloves, no hoods, piercing nozzles, rope hose tools, axes for everything, blind searches...I'm getting all misty.
Think of the firefighters today. They will never know a fire service without all of the technological advances. Imagine when they call IC and says that the TIC isn't working and the IC tells them to do a search by "feel". The silence will be deafening!
Art
How about this......... If you experience a catastrophic failure of your air pack, dissconnect the cylinder, shove it up underneath your coat and open the air cock. You can then breathe by pulling the coat up over your mouth! We had packs, but you were called a pussy if you dared to use it. The good old days........I just wish I could stop coughing now!
I know how that feels. The last training we had as a department, that people actually showed up to, was back in 2004, back when I was a cadet! Now that I'm with another department that holds trainings once a week, it's quite an adjustment... in a good way.
awww don't worry you will stop coughing right after the lung comes up jim,,, back then if you used it you were either a pussy or costing the dept preciouse dollars to have it refilled, and as far as sticking the cylnder under your coat, thats almost a better idea than taking the low pressure hose on your msa and sticking it inside the mask of your partner and inhaling his stinky breath lol
Dissconnect your low pressure, (corrigated), hose from your belt mounted regulator and hold it as close to the floor as you can.
I heard a great expression a while ago and I have no idea who said/wrote it but it was something along the lines of, "The day you stop learning is the day you die".
In my opinion, (as humble as that may be), the biggest failure in the service is on the part of lazy officers that put training on the back burner. Even in a fast paced house, if you fight fire after fire, you still need time to train. Those in command who fail on this point, fail everyone.
I retired from "active" firefighting 5 years ago.
But I still learn.
Just two nights ago, I was learning about side airbag deployment.
And I am currently reading John Salka's "First In; Last Out". Great book, by the way.
Should be required reading for ALL officers.
It's simple for me. Even as one of the fire department's commissioners, I want to keep up on the new stuff so that I can participate in the discussions and have a better understanding when issues are being discussed. AND I might know something that they don't and vice versa.
Staying involved means continuing education.
At least it does for me.
Great read, I agree that it should be required reading. No matter what level of training someone has, it is of no matter if they don't train to keep it up. That training, as you mentioned can be reading up on the trade. I am quite disappointed in the lack of continuing education in the service I am running across.
Training is definitely what it's all about so you get it right on the calls - helps build "muscle memory" for when the adrenaline is flowing and helps build experience for companies like ours that only get 350 calls a year! We put our training schedule at the beginning of the year 4 drills minimum are held every month and attending 2 of the 4 is mandatory or you don't get on the trucks until you make them up. I assign every member on the company from officers to juniors one drill a year to teach and structure any way they want, the results have been some great drills!

We do everything from outdoor running handlines, extending lines and attacks to interior search and rescue. I've even done weird stuff like tape a baby crying, hide the tape recorder under a cpr baby in the station and with blackout masks or nomex turned around, packs on they do a search. I don't tell them there's a baby, I just see if they are listening etc. Trying to keep it challenging and appropriate to everyone's level makes most of the members attend all four of the drills each month. We also add live burns, pre plans etc throughout the year.

2.2 cylinders! We had the old steel 4.5's that came up past my helmet and knocked me in the head every search I did! I love progress......especially in the fire service

Bonnie
We have truck checks on one Monday and the general meeting on another, so that leaves two trainings per month that are never well planned or executed. We never secured the 4.5"s either at the top or the belt when we had them so they never nailed us. Back then it wasn't cool to have your gear on right. That meant you used it, and if you did you were less than a man. Times HAVE changed! Thank God.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service