I have been doing since we wore boots and long coats SCBA's weighted twice as much and had big thick hoses and a huge hot metal regulator on front. I remember fighting over bunker pants being a bad thing or how a pulse Ox on an ambulance was a stupid tool and Bi-carb was a first line Cardiac drug.

With that said I never stop learning or training and practicing I read what I can read I try new ideas I go to new training classes Last year I took a 140 hr confined space rescue class I am 6'2'' and 275 lbs this room is a confined space but I wanted to learn. I am RIT trained and certified and I find new ideas and toys for that all the time So in a nut shell if I ever feel like not training, learning and practicing I will get off the truck and never ride again.

Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I keep trying to get more training in my station but keep getting resistance from the chief or the firefighters just do not have the time to come to the class and yes some just do not want to go. but i go to as many as i can when they are offered.
Our dept. believes in training..... with the roster down to 24... we still have logged over 2600 hrs this year! Seems like we never stop training... but I'm always ready to learn or teach!
Everyday is a Training Day,I read books,do online courses,go to training when availible,talk with others in the field and practice what I've learned on live incidents.I've always been told that the day you stop learning they'll pat you in the face with a shovel as they throw the last bit of dirt on your grave.
when i got in we had coats and pullup boots and we had the heavy steel cylinders i was glad to get the aluminum cylinders
Hey bro with your height and weight, everythings a confined space!!! HAHA I agree, training is something that should be continuous. You never can learn it all, and by the time you perfect something the standard has changed and its time to learn the new ways
Me to Turk,sure was glad to see improved frames and padding on the SCBAs,I dont know about you but when we got bunkers I promptly cut the tops off my boots.
I love to go to training. I became an instructor because I found I could retain what I learned and was more competent in my skills when I had to teach them to "demonstration quality". In 28 years I have accumulated so many certificates that I have a six-inch binder full, front and back, and I don't think there's enough there. When you quit going to training, you are quitting on yourself and your team. With all of those certificates, I have found that I still do not have all the answers. For someone with an ego, that's a problem. For me, it's great. I want to learn more from anyone. It's why I'm here in the Nation.

By the way, when I came on, we were also doing all those things. But I remember when the Lifepak 3 was considered state-of-the-art. Nothing like using an oscilloscope for reading an EKG. And my guys laugh when I tell them I used to have to WRITE my daily log on paper. In a book yet. WITH A PEN! (With red ink for alarms and blue for routine stuff). Just call me Dino.
We understand (those of us who have been around for what seems forever), but the ting that I don't see is the next generation wanting to do anythig but come to the station and "play" or check their e-mail. I made my first fir in hip boots and a long coat, now my recruits want to know when they will get thier gear fitted for them. We were glad to be a part of something, and now it seems to me that they tink we owe them something for being there. Then ask them to train and the questions of "What will we do tonight? I need to know if I need to stay or not. Yes you need to stay, you need to learn. This goes for the "Old Hats" that think the basics are below them too. Train like you fight and be the best at what you do. ALWAYS
AMEN Brother!

Have been around long enough for riding tailboard to mean RIDING tailboard!
Just finished CSR last week and RIT starts in November..some of the guys don't ewant to do RIT for fear of failure. Me I want to test my self, I want to know I can still do the job...and everyday we learn things that can save our lives.
wow you have 24 on the roster were are down to 10, and yes i used to wear the high boots and long coat, hell my first scba (we had sprung for 2 second hand ones) was an msa demand mask, as in you had to demand the air to come out of the mask. I just turned 40 and still go to training and still learn something every time. and as for steel bottles oh yeah, what fun they were, aluminum is great , carbon fiber even better
Riding the tailboard, how about getting dressed on the tailboard! It's good to know that I'm not the only old fart out here. I've lost many pairs or single shoes after throwing them up onto the hosebed while trying to put my boots and coat on. We used to get yelled at if we didn't keep the lanyard on that tethered us to the headache bar. It would have been a good idea if it were long enough to let us put our boots on! We had SCBAs, but you were considered a wuss if you actually used it. There were some real old timers around then that would tell stories of growing long beards so that they could stuff them in thier mouths to breath through. Time and training has changed. Mostly for the better. Young guys don't know how much better and safer they have it now. The only thing about back then that I would like to go back to is my old leather helmet.
I think departments should enforce more training. I am on a volunteer department and we don't train enough. The more you know the safer everyone will be. Never stop training and learning, Matt Bondy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service