We regret to advise you that a fire tanker overturned while responding to a mobile home fire just north of Shreveport this morning, killing the apparatus driver. Firefighter Eric Speed, 33 was killed in the Line of Duty. The crash happened in a 90-degree curve of a roadway. Cops said Speed, a member of Caddo Fire District 2, was responding to assist a neighboring department with a mobile home fire when the crash happened shortly before 1000 Hours. The 3,000-gallon tanker struck a tree and came to rest on its side. Our sincere condolences to all affected, especially the family of FF Speed. Details will be posted later.
(Sent to me by the secretlist)

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Eric Speed was a friend of mine and fellow fireman. I have known Speed for a long time. I didnt work with same department at the time, but I work on the medic unit that covers his district. He was a dependable guy. He was the guy who walked into the station and spoke to everyone and shook everyones hand. Speed was always smiling and happy. Speed would do anything for anyone. He was always there when they needed him. Speed left behind 4 children and his mother. Speed will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and the department. Services will be on Saturday April 5. I dont know a time or place as of yet.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080329/...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080328/...

Another unfortunate LODD. My prayers with the family and co firefighters of Firefighter Speed
Thank you for this information Dusty. Please keep us posted as more information becomes available.
For all who would like to know. Firefighter Eric speed of Caddo Fire District 2 will be laid to rest in full FD honors this weekend. Speed, as we know him, was killed on 3-28-08 in a fire truck roll over. Speed was driving a 3,000 gallon tanker to a neighboring fire district for a house fire. Speed took a wrong turn and came upon an unexpected sharp 90 degree turn. The tanker rolled over and slid into a large pine tree. When the truck came to rest, the tree was pretty much in the cab of the truck pinning Speed. It took rescue workers 45 minutes to cut Speed out. In the begining its my understanding he was conscious and alert but as they got him out of the truck he coded. He was flown by Life Air Rescue to LSU Medical Center in Shreveport and was pronounced dead.

Speed was a great guy and will be dearly missed. Services will be held Saturday April 5 at Lake Bethlehem Baptist Church at 2842 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. in Shreveport at 11 am with grave side services following. Anyone intending on coming and needs directions can email me here or at Fireman0128@aol.com
Where can I get a full, up to date list of this year's LODDs?
Damn it! Another one? God bless him.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service