What is a department supose to do when there village board wont spend money for need equipment. Our airpacks are from the 80's. Our newest engine is a 79. We operate on a budget of a little of 10,000 a year. How does anyone else go about getting them to spend some money??? Weve tried the whole grant thing and it seems to be a waste of time... In need of help!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

don't just tell them that you plan to strike be ready to do it , drive your truck to the meeting park it out side and be ready to take that stand. my town did that when the charter was being revised and we wanted to be heard . we also told the the town people that we needed a voice in the subject and when we told the people of the listen and came out to support the fd. and to this day we the silent ones that hepl every one ask for something for the most part we get it good luck
Took the words out of my mouth...ISO is the way to go! Look it up online, its easy to find. You will find a survey to print out and fill out, send it to them and they come out and survey your district and give you a rating. The village might be ashamed of their rating when their insurance rates go through the roof.

Chief Art makes good points too brother, listen to him, he is wise in these ways and can help you. Take the fight to the taxpayers, go to village meetings in force and present a unified front, BUT be calm and professional, explain things to people, show pictures, show maintenance records of your equipment and how much it costs to repeatedly repair the same thing over and over as opposed to buying a new piece.

As far as grants DO NOT GIVE UP...check to make sure your depts fire reports are current and sent to the proper people. The grant people make sure of this as part of your grant package. If you are not caught up on fire reports to your state than you get placed at the end of the grant list, so make sure they are caught up.
\Apply for as many grants as you can find, and stay with them every year. If you do not get the grant they send you a letter explaining what could have been better in the grant...listen to these suggestions and make the changes the next year.

Hope this helps any, if you need help let us know. Send me a message and I will be glad to help in any way I can.

Good Luck Brother
Moose
It is absolutely necessary to establish yourself in the local political arena. I have a blog entitled "Add Politician to Your Job Description". "Politician" is not a dirty word...well, most of the time it isn't. I'll give you two quick examples. In Illinois, I didn't know it, but the Foreign Fire Tax is paid out to municipalities through the Illinois Municipal League. Had I not gone to a village board meeting and asked the question, we might not have ever seen that money. In our case, it isn't much, but I don't care if it's one dollar; it should go where it is suppose to go. The first time we got it, it was close to a thousand dollars. Now, it is paid to us every year. The village didn't know what it was for. Now they do!
Last point. I established a political relationship with our state representative back in 1993. Since that time, Don Moffitt has become one of my closest friends and he has become the champion for the Illinois Fire Service. Just this week, his sponsored bill to infuse the Zero Interest Fire Truck Loan Program, the Zero Interest Ambulance Loan Program and the Fire Department Small Equipment Grant Program with FIFTEEN MILLION DOLLARS was approved. And our department is in line to receive some money. You won't get it if you don't ask and ask again. Don has been masterful at getting funding for the fire service in a state where they spend other money that they don't have.
And the funny part is that I have never had to ask Don for anything. He has always asked me. But then, he will also ask me to research for him, testify at public hearings and attend a few dinners with him and his lovely wife, Carolyn.
Getting involved will get results!
TCSS.
Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service