Can anyone tell me if this is true. Lead firefighters in Oregon are being laidoff because they don't speak spanish. Please look at the video.

Views: 136

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This video is from last year, and it did unfortunately occur
I can tell ya that were i'm from no one evens knows how to speak spanish because what use is it going be to you on the day to day bases
Ditto that Ted......should I ever need to inquire as to the whereabouts of the library or bakery en francaise....I'm all set.....good to go...ca va bien.....

I worked in a convention center in NYC for three years (it shouldn't take a rocket scientist too long to determine which one) and was one of a very small handful of employees who DIDN'T speak Spanish.
I practically had to hire a translator to work with the wait staff. Had I known in high school what I know now? I'd have taken Spanish....my current lexicon includes "where is Pepe's house" --which will be handy when I need to find Pepe, but until then....
I have been told by very reliable sources that it is true.
Where I can understand that we should have the pre-requisites for any job, I feel that this was sprung upon the recipients.
I am sure that if being bi-lingual is required, we would either learn a second language or work where a second language wasn't required.
If this is true, then the ones who don't speak it now should be grandfathered and any new employees be required to speak it. When the grandfathers retire, everyone will speak Spanish.
Ci.
Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service