Does any bought know what this saying means I cant find it any ware if u do fuger it out please email me and let me know thanks.

nos patra tutus vos

Views: 153

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Do you have any context?
It's Latin...but butchered Latin....

Something about keeping your father safe, or your father keeping you safe....but the grammar/word usage is wrong.
From talking with some of the Linguists and Linguiphiles I work with the closest we came up with is:

"Our Father keep you safe."

nos: Us, we, our
Patre: (Pater Patris): Father
Tutus: (tutis): protected, safe, secure
Vos: you

It does seem to be a mix of maybe French and Latin...maybe a saying that was remembered and passed-down over time? Sort of an old-fashioned type of "Spanglish," ...call it "Fratin."

GM
I'm thinking some bastardized cajun version...that's what it sounds like.
There's a lot of mis-remembered French in New England too...New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine especially among the second- and third-generation Americans of French-Canadian descent. You know places where family names like "Ouellette" out-number "Smith" in the phonebook, but nobody speaks French anymore.
Hey I checked the phone book, looks like more Bouchers then Ouellettes. I think the translation is "Our Father keep us safe."
Sounds like we all get about the same general idea of the phrase. I still bet Bouchers and Ouellettes outnumber Smiths up there!

GM
Pretty close but I think Brewers outnumber everybody!
Thank you All

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service