My wife turned to me today and asked, “Do you think this country is falling apart?  Maybe we should get our passports renewed.”

Her question is timely, as for the past week or so, the news has been full of crazy, extremist, wingnuts publicly going off the deep-end.

The arrests this week of the Hutaree members comes amid what the Southern Poverty Law Center, an Alabama nonprofit that tracks extremism, has called "an explosion of new extremist groups and activism across the nation." The organization has cited the economic downturn as a major reason for the change, and contends that the far right has been particularly animated by the election of the nation's first black president.

Those groups "came roaring back after years out of the limelight," Mark Potok, director of the SPLC Intelligence Project, wrote in the group’s latest report. Last week, a new Harris poll reveals that 24 percent -repeating now, 24 percent- of Republicans say Obama “may be the Antichrist."

So what’s a stump-jumpin’, ridge-runnin’ “Christian foot soldier” armed to the hilt who never outgrew playing army, creating an organization with a rank structure straight out of Pokemon to do?

"Preparing for the end time battles to keep the testimony of Jesus Christ alive" -Hutaree.com

From top left, David Brian Stone Sr., 44, of Clayton, Mich,; David Brian Stone Jr. of Adrian, Mich,; Jacob Ward, 33, of Huron, Ohio; Tina <br / Mae Stone. Bottom row from left: Michael David Meeks, 40, of Manch...
From top left, David Brian Stone Sr., 44, of Clayton, Mich,; David Brian Stone Jr. of Adrian, Mich,; Jacob Ward, 33, of Huron, Ohio; Tina Mae Stone. Bottom row from left: Michael David Meeks, 40, of Manchester, Mich,; Kristopher T. Sickles, 27, of Sandusky, Ohio; Joshua John Clough, 28, of Blissfield, Mich.; and Thomas William Piatek, 46, of Whiting, Ind. (U.S. Marshall / Associated Press)

Yesterday, this from small;"">From The Detroit News:

Nine members of a Lenawee County-based militia group were planning to "levy war" against the United States and "oppose by force" the nation's government, according to an indictment unsealed this morning in U.S. District Court in Detroit.

They had plans to kill a local law enforcement official and, once officers from across the country came to the funeral, to attack the funeral procession, the indictment alleges.

Because, apparently that is what Jesus would do.

Don’t we as first responders already have enough to worry about? This brings to mind this Pulitzer Prize winning photo by Charles H. Porter IV.  It captures perhaps the darkest moment in the life of Oklahoma City Firefighter Chris Fields, who, on what is arguably the worst call on the worst day of his life, carries Baylee Almon, who became a dead baby shortly after the Murrah Federal Building was bombed in 1995.

Seriously, can you think of a worse day in your career?

Pray you'll never have to see what Chris's eyes saw

Accept my apologies for exposing you to the graphic image from that tragic day.  But it bears close scrutiny in order to put the events of these last few days into some sort of perspective.

Imagine what could be going through Chris’s mind as he stares down at the face of such an innocent angel. 

Man, how does he still deal with that?

My brothers and sisters, home-grown terrorists who care not about killing babies and massacring cops at a policeman’s funeral don’t give a damn about you or your safety, let alone Jesus Christ.  In their dimly-lit skulls, these nutjobs are readying themselves for the violence of The Rapture, justifying their mission as following the teachings of the Christian faith.

You know- Thou Shalt Kill.

It’s not just extremist Muslims, folks.It’s Frank from the car dealership and Jim Bob from the bait store.  Another homegrown threat (again from Michigan) reminds us that terrorism is alive and well and thriving in the hearts and minds of those among us right here in the good old United States who call themselves Christian foot soldiers.

Because, apparently that is what Jesus would do.

Remember that scene safety is still at the top of the priority pyramid.

Be careful out there folks. It’s nuttier than ever.

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amen Jack. THANKFULLY THERE ARE VOICES OF REASON TO BE HEARD.
it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

Justification to kill cops and babies? Hard to make that argument with any sane person.

perhaps we should also ask , what made a decorated war veteran feel that his government had gone to such a length to oppress the people that his only option was to bomb the federal building.

Ask away. Still doesn't justify killing babies. The guy was a nutjob- ripe for instilling hatred by those who can justify killing babies.

You have to actually wonder why people are upset and turning violent?

Why, yes, I certainly do. Upset is different than killing cops and babies, dude.

I'm glad I don't fly anymore I probably just made it onto the don't fly list.

I'm glad you don't fly either.

Kill babies because you don't agree with the government? Was this some kind of attempt to justify violence including murder? You seem to have an issue separating anger and hatred from violence and terrorism.

Don't expect to get much agreement from those of us sane enough to believe there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE to do to Baylee what McVeigh did in 1995.

Regardless of any health care vote.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service