how can we as a family show our honor for our fallen brothers and sisters?

Our hearts and prayers go out to any one who has lost a loved one in the line of duty. The recent loss of our brothers in North Carolina made those of us in my department made us want to do something. We discussed flying flag at half mass, in their honor, but according to federal law we are not allowed to do so. We need to do something that will allow people to know that we do grieve not only for the fallen in our own department, but for those in any department in the U.S. after all we are all in the same family, and we should be able to greive as a family.

Views: 156

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amen, Tiger. Great post as always.
From the Flag Code of the United States:
How can I show mourning if my flag is on a fixed pole or staff and can't be half-masted?
The flag rules make no provisions for this. However, army regulations state, "A streamer of black crepe 7 feet long and 1 foot wide will be attached to the staff immediately below the spearhead of the U.S. flag."

That's above the flag
This may sound simple and maybe even a little silly.....But, I think if we act and show family and friends that we grieve the way any other "family" does then all is well....We have to know that as a fire family we have a very unusual bond...our asses are literally in our brothers and sisters hands almost on a daily basis.....Its nice to fly the flag at half staff....and maybe to give the "colors" to the family....But I think the highest honor is to climb back on the truck and to keep doing the "job" regardless...that to me would be the highest form of honor....as the saying goes...celebrate his/her life, don't dwell on the sorrow....a very difficult thing to do I know...and always remember they are at your side for every call.....Rest well my friend...you deserve it.......Paul

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service