I need some advise. I've been with this very small fire department for almost 4 years now. The problem I'm having is my training, or lack of it. All the time I've been there, Almost every time that I'm home from my job, I drive an 18 wheeler for a rebar company, and a training session is scheduled, it gets cancelled for some reason or other. The years have gone by and I'm still unfamilar with the pumper's controls. The only thing I can do with confidence is drive it.
My question is, should I stay and hope for the best, or cut my losses and leave?
My father was a fire fighterfor many years and retired back in 2005. I don't want to disapoint him because I am the only son of 4 that decided to start a family tradition in fire fighting.
If you aren't in the "in" crowd here in Cowgill, one doen't go far.
Stay or go? Thank you for any responses.

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please keep in mind that peoples lives can depend on you being proficent at the pump panel. If you need extra help , get it. You fail to mention anything about other firematic skills, so Im not sure how comfortable you feel with other things. Maybe operating the pump isnt your thing,,, but that doesnt make you a firefighter failure. Practice, practice,practice till you get comfortable. My next question is this. SOMEONE in your Department deemed you qualified at one point to pump. Like any skill, you lose being "fresh" unless you practice. If someone qualified you and you dont have ,at minimum , an annual recert or the ability to train and maintain your skills, I would begin to question your SOG's for being qualified to operate apperatus. Perhaps theres a bigger issue here and you may not be alone.
One final tidbit,,,,, fires and injuries dont discriminate whos the "in" crowd and who isnt. This is a deadly serious business and when duty calls, we need to depend on one another. If the "in " crowd doesnt want to take the time to help you get up to speed on the pump panel, they really need to wake up and see the big picture,,,their asses may depend on YOU someday.
Stay Safe and good luck!

Mike

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service