lately, long island volunteer fire departments have come under antagonism from the media outlets. (newsday did an entire study u can find here, http://newsdayinteractive.com/firealarm/index.php )
the general impression is that these departments are too costly to the taxpayers, have too many perks for the members, and where the operating fire fighters have questionable practices.
i'm looking to get some feedback on how you guys feel about it and whether or not it is a justifiable system, or if we should overhaul our system.

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In an urban area not far from me, there is a debate that pops up from time to time. The question is, "How many (Ladders, heavy rescues, pumpers, etc.) do we need per person in this county? The point is that there are quite a few fire departments in a given area, and by consolidating them into one county-based department, the cost to the residents of said county would be lower overall.

The problem is with the many small fire departments that now exist because they always have existed. They need a pumper or three, an aerial truck, heavy rescue and such so that they can be fully self-sufficient. Some of the districts encompass only 3 or 4 square miles, bordered by other departments with the same number of "toys".

If you were to look at the maps of some of the LI districts I'd bet that the ratio of fire trucks per 1000 people is much, much higher than say FDNY or even some smaller career departments. I think that this is what is getting some people stirred up.

There is no easy answer. I think that over time, on a department by department basis, a township or county will take over fire districts that are now volunteer (along with their equipment), hire career staff, and redistribute stations/apparatus/staff as needed to provide uniform coverage.

This has happened in a number of urban areas (Houston for one), is happening currently (there was a poster on in January describing this) and will certainly continue to happen going forward.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service