Anyone thats placed in a role of being in charge of accountablility at a fire scene, particularly in the vollie ranks, may have the hardest job on the fireground. I know that may raise an eyebrow, but , think about it. Do YOU know whos on your incident scene? I say "incident" because it applies to ANY firematic response. Do your SOG's require you to respond on a rig or can you show up in your POV? Do you operate with some sort of a tag system? DO YOU HAVE A SYSTEM???
I have done ALOT of homework and research on scene accountability and FF on scene safety. The one factor that seems to have the biggest effect on accountability accuracy seems to be the HUMAN one.
No matter what, be it computer implanted chips on gear or plastic tags, WE as people seem to be the ones that basically screw up the system.
WE, the invinceable, the heros, the good guys and gals,,,,,,, seem to somtimes get a bit of tunnel vision, occassionally forgetting where to stage or report in because of the big glow and the fact that it looks like they may need help on the first attack line. We just happen to be the next one on arriving the scene and dont have time to "check in", because our instinct is to help mitigate a situation, ASAP.
I would like to hear feedback on FF accountibilty systems. I have found no 1 system a perfect one and I feel this is an area in need of ALOT of improvement. I would also challange those who reply to consider their M/A responses. Are you and your neighbors on the same page?
Better yet,,, and this may be a totally seperate post BUT...........do you and your M/A Departments have the same criteria for interior firefighters?????????????
If you cant answer that or dont know,,,you better ask!!!!!
I have found that what works for one FD regarding acceptable levels of training for one Department doesnt always work for the next and sometimes the "bar" is raised,,,,,or,,,,,,lowered. There seems to again be a pretty big grey area here. Are you and your Department competent enough to rise to your neighbors standards,,,,,,,,are the people on your fireground trained equally or better to your standards and your neighbors at minimum according to your Dept. SOG's??? Do you feel your neighbor is relaxed in these requirments and needs to step it up???
Lets talk about it !

As Always, Stay Safe Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Views: 336

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you look on page one you will see that I use the passport system and most of the fire dept. in the northwest use this system it is a very good system.
Maybe I am too safety minded, but if we can't play safe ourselves, our can we be depended on the public we are all sworn to serve to protect to provide them with being safe.

Unfortunately this website and others like Firefighterclosecalls, etc are loaded with phots and videos proving that many, many, many of us can't operate safely and in the cold harsh reality are propbably not defending the towns we are meant to be.....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service