Here are the main points I try to cover in our training sessions. What's missing?

Apparatus Drivers

The emergency vehicle driver must provide prompt response of the apparatus, equipment, and personnel to the incident scene to provide service to those in need and reduce the seriousness of the situation

The emergency vehicle driver must accomplish this task in the safest and most prudent manner possible

A top priority of all apparatus drivers includes the safe transport of apparatus and members back to the fire station

Any apparatus operator observed breaking traffic laws or driving in an aggressive or otherwise unsafe manner may be subject to disciplinary action, including suspension of driving privileges.

All persons riding in apparatus shall be seated in approved riding positions and be secured by seat belts whenever the apparatus is in motion.

The apparatus driver shall verify that all personnel are properly seated and secured with seat belts before the apparatus is moved.

Before leaving the station, make a 360 degree safety inspection around the apparatus to see that: all equipment is secured; all compartment doors are securely closed; any physical obstructions moved out of the way; and no one is on top of or under the apparatus

When responding in emergency mode, all visual warning devices shall be operated at all times regardless of time of day and/or traffic conditions.

Audible warning devices shall be operated while approaching and traveling through all intersections, when overtaking vehicles, and when traffic conditions warrant.

Maintain safe following and braking: Allow three to four seconds of following distance behind other vehicles regardless of travel speed.

In emergency mode, drivers shall operate the apparatus as close to the posted speed limit as possible, and not to exceed ten (10) miles per hour over the speed limit under any circumstances.

Maximum response speed will be reduced whenever road, traffic or weather conditions do not permit the safe operation of the apparatus regardless of the posted speed limit. Always be prepared to stop at uncontrolled intersections

Slow down if any potential hazards are detected and cover the brake pedal with the foot.

Full stops REQUIRED at stop signs and red lights - DO NOT rely on sirens or lights to clear the way

Do not proceed through intersection until you know that all other traffic has stopped

Sound the vehicle’s siren, air horn or other audible warning device at least 500 feet from the intersection.

Non-Emergency mode

When responding to a call in a non-emergency response mode in the normal flow of traffic, the apparatus will be operated without audible or visual warning devices

Non-emergency incidents include: Water problems; mutual aid fill-ins; and non-emergency transports

When responding to non-emergency calls, all drivers shall comply with New York State Vehicle and Traffic laws that apply to non-emergency vehicles

All members shall wear seat belts at all times when returning from a call, including ambulance personnel seated in the patient compartment of the ambulance.

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When aproaching a red light at an intersetion,while responding, make eye contact with all on coming traffic before assuming right of way. Use turn signals while driving. No drinking of any beverages while responding in any apparatus.
Excellent about the turn signals and eye contact - DOH!

Do you consider Budweiser a beverage? :o)
Joe I will try to scan and save my departments SOP on driving (both apparatus and POV) to post here for you and others to see. It seems to cover the bases. Highway safety is a whole other topic we cover in training.

I can not reccomend the course VFIS has to offer to all who read this. They supply the material for free, and your training officer teaches it.
Thanks Mike - they are very similar to ours but I'll put them side by side and see what's missing.
LOL without printing yours off (no ink) I can't do a side by side, let me know if we are missing anything on our end please.
Hey Joe, we now have added that you aren't aloud to talk on your cell phone while driving to and from a call. We have a few that think it is not a problem. I have told one or two of our drivers to get off the cell phone while they are driving.

Kim
Good point, Kim. Sometimes I have used the cell while responding but that's usually to confer with the dispatcher or other officers going to the scene...

But really, it doesn't matter, does it! Cell phones are a distraction and should not be used while responding - officer or not.
ahhh cell phones. something we didn't have to or should i say couldn't talk about when i joined in 1980. we were discussing the art of dressing on the tailboard and this new thing the SCBA. stuff changes and so our SOP's should, rear spotters is an issue and an article in FIRE/RESCUE magazine has a good line. one mishap to 30000 miles of going forward and one every 80 feet in reverse. Sean Crotty is right about the red pen, but i think it should read when the new rookie comes, so we keep SOP's up with the stuff that is avaliable and help keep us OLD guys on our toes so we don't think we know it all and hurt some one. stay safe and keep the faith
Ah, dressing on the tailboard... that's how you found out who your friends were! Nothing like going down the road at speed and trying to put your cotton duck turnout coat on... with the liner removed for the summer, of course.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service