http://www.firerescue1.com/vehiclesafety/articles/350501/

I used to work as a seasonal for the Marin County Fire Department, and worked with the engineer involved. To be honest, im not sure how to think about this incident. The engine bay this occured in is very small, but the incident happened during the day and both individuals are quality firefighters.

Is this just a horrible break, or is there something more we can do to prevent backing accidents.

Views: 80

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hope he has a speedy recovery that allows him to return to work, also hope that this doesnt "mess up" their engineer also and that he is able to get past this. If I remember right the Capt. walked behind the rig as it was backing up. I'm not trying to sound critical of those involved but trying to use this as a learning example. No one should walk behind a moving vehicle(at home, parking lot or at station) for any reason. We all have done it before and more than likely will do it again without thinking about it, but this is the basis for most safety programs is to try and change the way we think about the risks involved in even the simplest tasks that we preform. A dept in my county had a LODD involving a truck backing into station and a member falling under the truck. Right after that no one walked behind a moving truck, but as time goes by we all have started doing it again. Maybe this will be the accident that everyone remembers for a long time and will start to change the way we think "in house"
Agreed,

It's a true shame, because more then likly 2 careers have been forever altered. With all of the Hazards involved in this job, in station tramuatic LODD's are just unacceptable.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service