It is finally getting to that time in my life where im going to pick a college to go to for Fire/EMS school. Any of you guys have any advice on colleges to go to? Preferrably on the West Coast ( i live in Oregon ). Im currently looking at PCC ( Portland Community College) Chemeketa Community, or Rogue community. I really want to get out of my small town and NOT go to Rogue, But if i have to i will. Any advice on deciding on which one to go to?

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really check into what courses you have to take to get an associates. If I went for an associate in Fire, it would have took forever and been way to many courses. And still have to go through EMT and paramedic. But now that I am in Paramedic school, after I am done, I can take 3 fire classes and have my associates in Fire science with concentration in Emercency medicine. So look at your degree from both angles. - hope that helps.
Very helpful. I was actually thinking of doing the same thing you are doing by concentrating on Emergency Medicine first, then worry about the associates in fire later.
Well, I am in college to become a Diesel Mechanic, so I have no first hand experiance in terms of fire schools, however, both of my parents have degrees in Fire Protection Engennering from Oklahoma State University in Stillwater Oklahoma.
The only real advise I can give you on selecting a school, is to tour as many as you can BEFORE applying to any of them, that way, you know that you have chosen the right school
Check with the National Fire Academy. I think they are still involved with Open Learning for the Fire Service. There are colleges throughout the nation that do the correspondence/internet thing also. I went through the University of Cincinnati for my Bachelor Degree.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service