I am a Junior Fire Captain. I have 8 months left of this "probation" period. In my company I like to give all that I can to the Juniors, after all they are the future of the company. Does anybody have any ideas as to what would be a good thing for myself to do for my juniors. Wheather its fun training ideas, or interesting fundraisers. All replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,
Capt. Jesse Young

Views: 535

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

See if you can work out a deal with your chief for a fun raiser. There are many opportunities to raise money, although it depends on your public support in the community. A community service project OUTSIDE of the firehouse can also be an option. It will get you some recognition (aka the juniors not just you personally) and also will give you all some more time together using teamwork to accomplish a goal. If you get approval for the fund raising, see if you can talk the chief or your board to allow the Juniors to purchase the company a new piece of equipment, or perhaps get something for you juniors thats firefighting related. Just a few ideas, great job you seem to have a great grasp on your job
you could alway have the juniors raise money to fix up or build you local honor roll we did that a long time ago not only helps with the community relations but you can have them do the work. and maybe show them team work to get the task accomplished.
hello i am a chairman of a junior program and i would have to say if you want to do go for your junior company keep every one interested in every thing you can no matter how boring it may be
Thank you for all the ideas. I am goin to be goin forward with the litter pickup on the side of the road. As for what juniors are "allowed" to do for training, we can do almost anything. juniors over 16 are permitted to participate in all trainings except entering a burning building. Meaning controlled or uncontrolled.
Another training sessions we use to do was hitting hydrants, learning proper ways to pull handlines, throwing ground ladders, breaching walls, roof vent cuts, extrication techniques, and small things like that. it worked out great for the ones that stuck around for awhile before moving on.
One thing you need to do when you cross over. Don't turn your back on them. Its the number 1 rule and i see it alot. Teach them your training skills and work with them. One study skill i use is when you go on a lot of fire alarms and pretty much B.S calls have them look at what tools get use the most. If they can master the tools that are use a lot then they will have no problem knowing their trucks. As for firegihting inside the building. Yeah you training the best you could until that time but once your in the action just have to use your skills you build up as a junior and get experience from all the action. Learn from your mistakes. Be safe
My training was actually put on hold due to lack of funds for our class. So right now instead of doing what I love I cant even go to class for it. It's very upseting. Just make sure you have enough funds and there are so many things you could do. I know how it feels and as long as you do something with them they'll be happy.
My Junior program is one of the best in the state of RI. We let them go to all calls and sr. memeber tranings. We have duties that these kids do at all the calls. each dutie has age limits like traffic controle can only be done by a 16 or 17 jr. Maybe your company can adapt something like that it really wouldnt cost the dept. any more money then what you already have for tranings. If you want i can try to send you a copy of the rules and regulations for the juniors.
Jesse,
I am happy to see you have such a strong want and will thats the first step, I was in the first Jr dept. in my area and when it started we did nothing more then watch and try and learn. After time we had more and more roles and yes learning to pack hose matters..lol..Really you can all learn safe fire fighting practices and have fun drills with little risk. I come froma sick warped family and my dad used to make us do training drills in the back yard and yes he used real fire but learing the proper way to search a room and team work. All wear blind folds and play marco polo in a large room using only safe search tech to find a person is a great game.
One thing we like to do with our juniors, is we found a few sets of old turnout gear. Some ours, some from neighboring departments. You know the stuff that needs to be retired? Or if yall have gear for them already, we pull some trucks out of the bay, build a maze, have them dress out fully airpacks and all, black out the masks, and work on search patterns. They have a lot of fun doing it, we change up the maze each time and a few odd n ends of different stuff. We even get the firefighters to participate so it gives everyone the chance to get to know each other, and somewhat learn of how theyre gonna tend to do things.
I would love to have a formal juniors program in my dept. Maybe we can talk some day about how to get one started.
Joe ~ you may want to contact your local Boy Scout office. They often have the funds and parameters to set up an Explorer program, which functions much like the juniors.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service