Last night (6th February) I went and saw Iron Maiden play one of the event arena's in Melbourne to a sold out, capacity crowd.

From where I sat, I had a great view of the band and of the General Entry area and Mosh Pit (For want of a better term, although it wasn't really a mosh pit) and I couldn't help but think about Major Event Planning and Safety.

Let's take a scenario such as this event-

15000 plus people.

Alcahol being served outside the arena.

Pumped and hyped crowd.

Pyrotechnics malfunction.

Fire breaks out.

Crowd panics.

Pretty nasty food for thought.

Has anyone been involved in planning for such an event or responded after there's been a situtation occur?

I've also placed a similar discussion on Firehouse and Techrescue.

My photos-

Find more photos like this on Firefighter Nation : Firefighter and EMS Social Network

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tiger Schmittendorf has some expertise that you may want to tap.
I'm going to see Rush in April. Should be fun.
I went to Kiss/Aerosmith last year and they were taking people out on gurneys. Some of the older set was struggling with the smoke after all of the fireworks were set off at the end of Kiss' show. Inside arena.
Art
Hi Siren, Familair with the Staion one- I've got some great (for wat of a better word) footage of it.
Hi Sean, I'm after anything that's available!

I've done loads with municipal planning for emergencies and disasters, but nothing with events.

Are there electronic manuals, forms, etc available anywhere?
And the sad thing is now that the Station nightclub fire is growing more distant in years, the fire codes which were created to PROTECT the people are becoming more lax again. You would think the state of RI would learn from their mistakes and continue the coverage of more strict fire codes to prevent future issues at any club.
Plain and simple, anytime you mix alcohol, a massive amount of people in a small area, an entertainment venue with wierd lighting or dim lighting, pyrotechnics or smoke machine, you are nothing more than mere moment from a disaster of grotesque proportions.
To think that the NFPA test done in the exact conditions and size of the station stage area yielded that 2 sprinkler heads would have put the fire out, and we would be speaking about a few smoke inhilations compared to 100 dead bodies, 200 burnt injured or disfigured people, and hundreds of family, friends, and responders who are completely horrified with the nightmares of what their eyes saw that night.
The problem we have here, is that there hasn't been any major issues and incidents such as this.

Yes, we've had people killed in the Mosh Pits at a couple of events, but that's about it....

There's been no large scale incident, with mutiple injuries or fatalities. (Don't get me wrong- that a great thing! But....)
Here's a couple of links (Assuming it's one and the same)-

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5j5Z6SKsUiAEkGJYVY4P87MSHj8Vg

and also

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080207/98634195.html

Here's an older one in Moscow- http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/03/25/moscow-fire.html
Talk about risk management not being put into use- "Russian news agencies quoted witnesses as saying the club’s bartender was putting on a "fire show" and accidentally poured burning alcohol on his clothes.

A nearby canister of flammable liquid also ignited and soon half of the club was on fire."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service