I live and volunteer in Baxter county, North Central Arkansas. I was at the station last night when the tornado warnings went off. I walked over to the community center which was also a voting site. The city of Gassville is a couple miles down the main highway. The sky over there got so dark. Reports were coming in over the radio. We were looking out the window and I spotted the tornado. I'd never seen one before. They were calling for anyone with medical training. Finally another FF/first responder came to the station and we headed out in the brush truck. They were wanting people to go around and not take the main road. It was so chaotic. Just about every fire station from Baxter county was there along with some from Marion couny. It was dark and raining, telephone poles were smashed all over the road, visual landmarks were gone, gas stations were destroyed, houses were destroyed, power lines were all across the roads. We couldn't get much done last night. It was so surreal. We headed out again this morning when things were more organized and assisted in search and recovery efforts in a trailer park where things were really bad and there had already been one fatality. Trailers were flipped upside down on top of other trailers. They had a cadaver dog out there too. Then we made a sweep through the area and the other debris. I found a picture in a bush, it was either a wedding or anniversary picture. I took it down and looked at it and tossed it into the rubble. You look at that upside down trailer that is flattened and destroyed and you think, "This was this person's life, and it's gone." Then we were walking down roads with dump trucks and a dozer clearing some roads and ditches. It was 73 yesterday before the storms came through, this morning when we were out working it was spitting snow. When we were out last night it was like a scene from a movie, we were walking down the road to get to a deputy to talk to him and lightening was flashing across the sky. I didn't sleep well at all last night thinking about what all I had seen. Ended up with a migraine while we were working today. Anyway, Gassvile has been declared a state of emergency by the mayor and a curfew has been put in place. Last I heard there are still 5 people missing.

Views: 46

Reply to This

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service