I have a question should 16 and 17 year old cadet's be allowed on large grass fire where multiple agency's have been activated ? This is some thing that we are having go on in Torrance County. We have a large active fire going on right now. So question is Cadet's or Trained Firefighter.

Views: 365

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They can serve many jobs but front line fire fighting no. Please listen to what is said, I know they can do it but read the news paper? CHILD KILLED ACTING AS FIRE FIGHTER??? Sound good?? They can stretch hose get supplies give help many jobs to do but keep them safe!!!
As a 16 year old firefighter, i say maybe. Right now i have firefighter 1, and know a thing or two, but we never covered brush fires in ff1. In NYS it is a seperate course to be certified in brush fires. in my case, my first fire was a brush fire, nothing big, and i was not even a month in the co. so anyone can go on them, it is just better to be certified to do the task. So what i guess i'm getting at is the more training someone has, the better, and if a 16 or 17 year old has the training, its fine. and in your case if they have the certifications, and are comfortable with their capabilities, why can't they be on that call?
also, i guess it also depends on where your at, i'm in NYS, the grass fires here are probally a lot less intence than one in NM...
Omnis Cedo Domus
This is true and I do not have a problem but when they are on the front line's the department has to deal with what happens. I trained one of these cadet's that I am talking about and I know he knows what to do but I still do not want him on the front line's.
See they have been through the course but because of their age they are not allowed to be on the front line's they are good for helping fill truck's as long as they are not near the fire but these cadet's are on the front line and not in a safe place
That fine then, SOP's are SOP's, if the cadets shouldn't be there, they shouldn't be there, pain and simple. that needs to be explained to them, and if you need more help, insted of getting the cadets involved, and violate your SOP's, call mutual aid in... it isn't worth the risk of hurting one of them, and knowing it could have been prevented by following SOPs
Omnis Cedo Domus
This is true as per state and federal forestry cadet's are not suppose to be there. But because one of the cadet's dad is the chief he say's it is fine for them to be there. They do not have any cert's that are legal for them to be on these type's for fire's.
It's the chief's call, but is something happens, the chief has to explain a lot. i personally wouldn't take the risk if no cert's are present, but if there were cert's, it could be challenged. but then it comes down to age again... and for that, i don't know... from what i know, its the chiefs call...
Omnis Cedo Domus
True and I know he would have to answer the question's. But from a liabilty side the wavier's should have been signed to limit liabilty to to department we are a rural voluteer fire department without alot of money.
if the wavier was signed, it should be brought up to the board of directors privately and let them decide on what to do... thats all you can do is wait and see, you are doing the responcable thing... your looking out for the cadets and the dept. as a whole...
Omnis Cedo Domus
I am but i do know the wavier has never been signed for the cadet's. But i am still worried and it is hard to get that out of my mind when it comes to that and thought about the lost of a child. That is all also would like to hear from other company's who may have to same problem.
from a co. standpiont, the trainees (cadets) cant be near the front lines ether, but, like in your case, it is loosely inforced, it all comes down to filling seats, and having extra hands
thats scranton...
have a good one
Omnis Cedo Domus
i believe on a grass fire yes they can participate too we have a couple junior members that we allow to do the firefighing on grass fires but that is all they will get to do until 18

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service