I would like to know why fellow fireman respond without the use of safety belts. We all know the results of not wearing one.

Views: 280

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I have been on engines where people actually take them off. I think its a comfort thing for them. 4X4 is the worst as far as comfort. As a medic I condone these actions. If you are rideing with me, or on the same engine and your belt is off you will face my rath. My kids know and have been taught to get it clicked before I even start the car, and if by chance they get side track the car comes to a hault!!!! I know there have been times on the engine where I could not find the belts because of the gear, but eventually do get it on. It is very frustrating too. I like to do a buddy check. Dont be afraid of hurting someones feelings because they do not have their belt on. Just tell them to get it on. Simple as that. Some think they are cool and nothing can hurt them, but there is always a first time. Look at the statistics!!! Angi
The stats don't lie. Every year people who are in the "I'm invisible" catagory get killed because they don't wear seat belts. It's another stat that the fire service as a whole can stamp out by MANDATING and ENFORCING seat belt use throughout.
AMEN!!Angi
See???? A new take on an old subject, albeit not a very smart policy, but not the same old hash either....

:-)
I've said this before in another forum, but I don't like seatbelts in fire apparatus.

I think if some smart engineers put their minds to it there are better restraint systems for fire Rigs than seatbelts designed for use by individuals who don't wear bunker gear and SCBA.

I've seen the idea of the SCBA itself being a vehicle restraint system, and that's one good idea (where the SCBA is locked into the seat frame and acts a Five-point harness for the FF).

The other idea I've had is to use restraint bar system similar to those used on roller coasters. So a FF gets in the rig and reaches up to pull down a steel over-the-shoulder restraint bar to his or her lap and is safe in a collison, or even a roll-over and the officer can see if everyone is restrained because their restraint bar will be up at the ceiling if they aren't, or bobbing in front of the Firefighter. Added features could even be incorperated into the bar such as intercom speakers near their ear.

If designed right, the bar would work on FFs of many sizes and shapes, and still allow them to strap-on the SCBA while enroute. Once the rig arrives on-scene the FF can simply pull a release lever to get out of the rig. the bars would move up and out of the way of the FF and would not be an entanglement hazard while exiting the vehicle. I know I've gotten the seatbelt caught on my SCBA before.

I know it might be hard to imagine at first, but in the Occupational Safety field, we try to incorporate engineering (passive) measures rather than relying on workers to put on the safety measure (active controls) because workers will NOT use PPE whenever they can get away with it...and restraint systems are just ENROUTE PPE. In other words we try to muffle the sound of a generator rather then expecting employees to put on hearing muffs. So if FFrestraint arms unlocked and dropped down in front of the FF when s/he sat down they wouldn't have a choice but to use them, or they would be in the way as they rode.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service