Yet another question for anyone out there that has had input into specificaitons for a Class A Uniform Jacket for department Chaplains...

1. What color (gold or silver) for buttons, badges and sleeve embroidery.
2. How many maltese crosses, ie. one for each year? with crosses embedded into the buttons.
3. Anything else that you have put together in regard to outfitting department chaplains with Class A Uniforms...

Thanks in advance,

Mike Schlags, Fire Captain
Santa Barbara, CA

Views: 4461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike,

The most common Class A uniform for Chaplains on the East Coast is the same as a chief officer's, with the following exceptions:

No rank piping (stripes) on the sleeves, or if there is rank piping, it is a single wide band. (No chief rank is a single wide band)
The buttons are gold, with a Maltese Emblem or "FD" - the same as chief officers.
The maltese crosses are worn on the left sleeve. Most states define one maltese for each 5 years of service. In South Carolina, it's one maltese for each 4 years.
The badge centers and collar brass are usuallly white enamel, rather than the typical red for firefighters and blue for EMS.
The badge center and collar brass have the Cross for Christian chaplains, the Star of David for Jewish Chaplains, and the Crescent Moon for Muslim Chaplains.
The clerical collar may be worn in lieu of a uniform shirt and tie if the chaplain's religion requires it.
This is very common for Roman Catholic chaplains.

The dress hat should have a white crown, plain black bill, gold band, and a chaplain's hat badge that matches the shirt/coat badges and collar brass.

If the chaplain has been awarded any medals, it is appropriate for him/her to wear the matching ribbon bar on the dress uniform, as any firefighter or medic would.

Those are not hard-and-fast rules, but are more or less the norm on the Right Coast.
Mike,
go to www.firechaplains.org . They have a uniform section there. Down here, chaplains are given the honorary rank of BC.
Thanks Ben for you input. I will be printing it out and sharing it with both my Fire Chief as well as the lead Chaplain that I am doing this for. Take care, Mike
Thanks Jay, as mentioned above, this will be shared with my department to help direct the "to be written" policies. Take care, Mike

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service