Hi everyone! I'm back to work, but not in a fire station... Instead, as my knee recovers from surgery, I am working in what we call a light duty position, or in other words, headquarters...

I have the chance to put together a standard design for our tahoes and suburbans that will be replaced now and over the next few years. What would be helpful would be to see photos of how and where you mounted radios and emergency lighting. Below are some photos that I took at our county garage radio shop. My department has a communication committee that provided specs for the radios even though one question did come up...

Can you have two separate radios in the same vehicle that would transmit on the same channels? Concern was expressed that when one radio was in the monitoring mode, and the other radio's mic was keyed, that the input into the other antennae, which are mounted on the roof four-feet apart, would transmit onto the other radio, possibly blowing out the front filters. This came up because we have a radio head in a console between the front two seats and one mounted facing toward you on the rear left roof area. Anyone else mount rear radios like this? Have you had problem with rain getting the control head wet? Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mike from Santa Barbara : )

2008 Chevy Tahoe Radio and Lighting Installation / Santa Barbara County Fire Department

Rear view of tailgate area with radio, speaker and gooseneck map light installed.

This is called a "Supervisors Lightbar" and it's very stealth... only visible when turned on.

By vehicle code requirements, one section of the LED pods are programmed to constantly on to satisfy the requirement to have a solid steady burning red light to denote that it is an emergency vehicle. It was interesting that the lightbars do not come "pre-programmed". You have to wire it and tell it how you want it to be set-up... Like any of us have ever thought about that one before...

The center console currently has a radio, unitrol and cigarette 12v plugs. There will be a scanner mounted and possibly a rear directional light control. There is also a goose-neck map light mounted.

Have I missed anything? Yea... someday we will have a computer mounted and there is a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx mounted on the dashboard as a temporary fix. But I know there are other things to factor...

Strobe lights are also mounted on both the front and rear turn signals.

Views: 1250

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's the adaptor for your pace-maker isn't it Mike? :)
Seriously though Michael, that's a flexible light. We had them mounted on the dash for reading map books. They came with a white light and a red lens cover for night work that wouldn't glare the driver or much up your night vision...
Tony, you're right about the flashing lights. At night of course they would be turned off in an instant. A better arrangement would be to have them on the hatch when it is open. As they are mounted now they provide a directional light pattern with the hatch closed.
There are no flashing lights inside the rear, they are located in the turn signals. The Code 3 lights would be turned off when the vehicle is stopped and the rear hatch is opened. The Supervisor Lightbar (internal and against the top of the windshield do not reflect into the passenger compartment. I have not seen them work at night yet where you could get a glow from the engine hood... to be determined...
It's not my car... it's for a Chief officer and charging their pacemakers... : )
Gooseneck Map Light
this input alone is worth it's weight in gold. one of our other chief's vehicles have had troubles and your info explains why... many thanks buddy. Mike
This post has been moved to the Vehicle/Apparatus discussion category.
Ted, Do you have a vendor and pricing? This really makes sense and will enhance the safety of the vehicle. Any chance you might have some photos of the installed unit? ms
Do you have a need for 4 heads ? - Oldman is right-If you usr the 2 radios @ the same time it will be too much draw-and will need a high out put alt. but if you want what you have but only one antenna you can just go with a duel head-one in front and one in rear
cool... thanks mike and lutan1.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service