I don't know if anyone else here is having a problem, but I have recently heard and also experienced several items that have been stolen from the department I am a member of as well as some items that have been stolen from my brothers. I have also recently heard of some neighboring departments having items stolen from them. I don't know about everyone else but I think that this is WRONG!!!!!! Anyone that steals from a firehouse or from any of his or her brothers or sisters from the firehouse needs to be disciplined to the point of dismissal as well as prosecuted. I would like to know what my other brothers and sisters have to say.

Views: 349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone who steals should be arrested and dismissed immediately. Does it give your department a bad name? The answer is NO. The thief is the one with a bad name, and your department developes a no tolerance policy which will go through the entire firehouse and avert more potential thefts.
The person who steals deserves to go to court and pay restitution. If it shows up on their background check, thats a risk they took when they decided to make something theirs that wasn't theirs.
We had some things come up missing around our station mostly small things, But at our monthly metting the chief said if anything else was taken there would be mandatory polygraph test's for everybody and if you refused the test you would be terminated. Amazingly nothing has come up missing after that.
Years ago we had someone stealing gas from the gas cans on the trucks, and in the fire house. You know, the gas cans that keep the generators and other portable equipment fueled up.

It was my impression that the person justified taking department property that he thouught no one would miss, with the attitude of "hey, I volunteer to do this, giving me some gasoline is the least they can do for me."

We had suspicions, but could never prove it; so the arrest and "firing" of the individual could not be done.
Let me catch some one stealing from me. I may not be able to any thing about it when im on duty, but roll call and shift change happens at 0700 and ill be beating that azz at 0701 I can promise that.
It's sad,but it happens. We had a person get over $1000.00 worth of gas in 4 months. I've been with my department over 32 years, the gas cards have been in the same location since I joined. After we noticed the high fuel bills, we ask the P.D. to open a investagation. Low and behold, this young man attempted to use the card right in front of a officer, he could not understand why the card was rejected. Short story he spent 1 years in jail, stocked out after 30 days with 5 years on the shelve and had to repay the department. And he can not ever join another department in the state. Like I stated in the beginning...SAD but it's happenes. Now if you need fuel for any department , you have to see the Chief or Asst Chief for a fuel card and use your unit number and engine unit number and return the fuel slip to be turn in.....
Well to an extent I know a fellow brother and the dept said he did but in reality he was using it and made a bad choice without tellin anyone he was

and his life now is back on track from the bad decision and is trying to get hired again
Does it give your department a bad name? The answer is NO.

I agree, but a whole FD or unit station reputation will be hurt if caught during fire ground operations, outside our firehouse. Like I mentioned in previous post, taking jewelry, money etc during overhaul tasks.

So it would better the klepto will be caught and prosecuted within our walls. We don't wanna a klepto on the lose to our streets using us (FD) as his gateway pass to his personal treasure hunting.
Are you saying that the FF you know stole from the FD, was accused of selling the stuff he stole, but was actually using it himself? Is that what you meant in your post? If so, a bad 'choice' indeed! If he was found guilty here of that sort of thing, he'd be waiting a long time before being hired again. A very long time! Convictions for theft are not looked on as a good thing for a firefighter to have.
Yes, we've had some in the past years like light bars, radios and even a mustang suit. This is way wrong and I hope they all get caught.
Well, maybe... but in my example it is a volunteer house, unattended, in a rural area... there is very little that can be done.
those who steal should not be on the department at all
Theft is wrong to begain with.

When its a FF or Medic (EMT or Para) then that person should be dismissed, and prosecuted.

Whats the Number 2 thing they preach in Fire acadamy and EMT/Paramedic school?

#1 Safety First.
#2 Honesty and Integrity.

If you truely cant be Honest and have integrity with your fellow FFs, then you have no place in Emergancy Services.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service