Our Dept. just put a CAFS Brush truck in service and the chief seems to think that CAFS is the Be all end all of the fire service.
He feels we need to flow foam all the time at every fire. I feel this is ok for some calls but not all.
He got more then a little upset the other night when we had a working vehicle fire and we led off with water to get a knock down then switched to foam for overhaul.

Who here runs CAFS and what is your feeling on it??

Views: 123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cafs for brush fires.... Funny you mention this subject. We had a brush fire in a neighboring district that uses foam as your chief does. They ran CAFS through the line and the fire and surrounding area was coated in a 6" thick layer of CAFS. After 20 minutes, we used Forestry rakes to ensure it was out, and WOA, what was that, smoke, and burning underneath the cafs. The cafs has penetrated about 1" into the ground, and other than that it was a perfect insulator. Moral of the story, Cafs has it's placebut if it's not applied correctly (with the proper amount of water for the fuel load) its nothing.
I agree, I like to use a .02 to .05 mix to get something like heavy milk. Not the foamy bubbles like airport crash trucks use for vapor supprssion.
Exactly. Like everything else, it takes a deal of common sense, a great dose of training and some time on the nozzle to see whats the best application

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service