Hey all I am needing some input. My Department is looking at Vehiicle Stabilization Struts. I am wondering what your departments has and what is your thought's on it. Any recommendations.

Views: 119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a coincidence - I have the company's web page open in another window and I'll paste the link: http://www.res-q-jack.com/

We bought the basic set with FEMA grant money last year, however we haven't had an opportunity to use them for real yet; only in training drills. We are having a train-the-trainer session this Saturday, using some donated cars and vans.

Like so many other things, the jacks are a part of your toolbox; they may not be used on every wreck, but they do give you a broad range of options.
My current department has the Rescue 42 Telecribbing struts. We have four long ones and two short ones plus accessories on two different trucks. They get quite a bit of use and have worked well for us.

My previous department carried the Alpha Industries Extrication Crutch system. They weren't quite as strong as Telecribbing, and weren't designed to lift, but for banging in a quick double A-frame on a car on it's side, you couldn't beat them.
Our Dept uses rescue 42's as well and would recommend them
Patrick,
I don't know much about brands & such we have Rescue 42 now I think, what ever Hurst recommends, but I do know one thing. . stabilizing a vehicle, every vehicle, is THE smartest thing you can do for your own safety & the victims. Some need more effort than others (like struts or ram bars) but use stabilization even when the vehicle LOOKS stabel or you aren't going to use the extrication tools, at least use wheel chocks, step chocks or air bags. I have stopped too many cars from rolling with my foot. I've seen front wheels fall off when they look ok while trying to get the hood up.
We get in such a hurry to start popping doors & rolling roofs we don't take ENOUGH time to make sure the vehicle isn't going to move.
We're in the process of getting the Rescue 42's, Our local City department hes them and they work great:)
I do the training for our local vocational schools on Auto extrication and train other department with the RSQ-42's. Very nice system.
Our department uses the standard steel set of struts and have used many times. Used to be some pics on our website. Not sure if still up or not. www.nraars.com. I am still not sold on the most expensive being the best.
Our steel struts work great. If we had to buy new-size/weight/easy of use and capabilities would be number 1 on the list of requirements. Rescue 42's fall into all those catagories along with a DVD to demonstrate. You can request a DVD for free right from RSQ42. Very informative.
We use these also. We have multiple sets of the jacks. We have used them and I definately like them. Ease of operation is always a + and you get that with these.
Hey just to let you know and try to help. I have been on 2 different departments and both had the portable air bags and cribbing. In the 15 yrs that i have been on I have never seen the airbags in use other then training. When we do need something for stabilization we always seem to grab the cribbing. So my opinion is save your budget and go with the cribbing we use different sizes of wood blocks cut with cords attached at one end for carring. Its also cheaper to replace if lost or brakes. Hope this helps

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service