as of Oct 4th my station had to start wearing road vest ot every road call an put up a road sign that is 4ft by 4ft, does any else's station have to do this an how do you like it an what do you think of it? i see their looking out for our saftey but i'm on a small department that has 10 to show up to a call if we are lucky. soon as we get to the scene 4 men are out an putting signs up so now thats mins. you could use at the scene. how does every1 feel about these new signs an vest we have to put up?

Views: 88

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I believe it is necessary. We have always had to wear vests, or our coats that meet ANSI codes. Putting on a vest should not take more than 30 seconds, and putting out a sign should only take 1 or 2 and only 1 person. Remember it is not "your" emergency you are responding to. Make yourself safe and stay safe before worrying about the victims. If we are on a right of way or even off to the side of the road we always put some one in vest with sign flashlight behind and off to the side with cones out to control and or stop traffic. The time it takes to do these things is minimal and is helping to protect the first responders on scene. The victim or victims are secondary to the firefighter's safety ALWAYS. Don't make yourself or others part of the scene.
I believe it is necessary. We have always had to wear vests, or our coats that meet ANSI codes. Putting on a vest should not take more than 30 seconds, and putting out a sign should only take 1 or 2 and only 1 person. Remember it is not "your" emergency you are responding to. Make yourself safe and stay safe before worrying about the victims. If we are on a right of way or even off to the side of the road we always put some one in vest with sign flashlight behind and off to the side with cones out to control and or stop traffic. The time it takes to do these things is minimal and is helping to protect the first responders on scene. The victim or victims are secondary to the firefighter's safety ALWAYS. Don't make yourself or others part of the scene.
Jose, It really doesn't matter how we feel about it. It is a federal law (23 CFR 634). You have to comply as of Nov 24, 2008

http://www.firemarshal.wv.gov/Documents/Federal%20Government%20Begi...

The reason for a federal law of this nature on a federal or state road way is that a lot of public service folks are being injured or killed responding to MVAs.
It IS THE LAW as of 11-24-08...and it is not only the roadways but also includes the right of way....That mean 50 feet from the centerline of the roadway....our "new" policy is simple....."Feet on the street....Vest on your chest"...Only exception...if you are in an airpack manning a handline...(they aren't fire resistant and will melt around you)....Have a nice day.....(got my hand slapped for "attacking someone" here so I have to be a good boy) Paul

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service