I have been working on a committee that is investigating the LODD our department suffered on April 4th. While investigating, it came up in interviews that Robin was attempting to transmit a Mayday and was unable to get out on the new Motorola 800 radio she was using. She kept getting the infamous "busy signal" due to heavy fireground traffic.

My thought is this: Are we teaching our people to utilize the red emergency buttons on the radios which give your traffic priority, or are we teaching them to key the mic and transmit like any other traffic?

Both Cincinnati and Colerain have been teaching their people to key the mic rather than depress the button. As we all know - we'll do in real life what we have done in training.

Just a thought that could potentially save someone's butt TONIGHT.

Everybody stay safe!

Jason

Views: 311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please E- mail me a copy mcompton 2elkhartfire.org

We have had our up and running for about 10 months I have ask my officer if there is ever a problem with the radios on the fire ground that after the fire is mitigated try to recreate the problem. is the radio is the operator or is it the sytem we have found out that most often it is opperator error. Dead battery once left in a shoulder strap. two were 100,000+ sqft buildings and in just some location we are looking to an act an ordinance that all new building install a BDA's this should help. Vocorders are still the hugh issue.
We have been using the 800 radio system for about ten years or so and it always gets a busy signal.

About a week ago we had a large brush fire and I was on my way home from a doctors appointment our brush truck and tanker had trouble marking in route and I tried calling them to find out what their location was and kept getting the busy signal.

Even when I switched to the channel we use to talk to the county dispatch I was getting the busy signals.

I got threw to my tanker once and he answered and after that it was back to not being able to get threw.

But back to the radios orange button ours has been switched to a scan button by the county we have to reilly on regular channels to talk we usually ask for a second ops channel for interior operations to try to cut down on the radio chatter.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service