OK...before I get the ridicule from those to macho to admit they have a soft spot in their heart, hear me out. I took my girlfriend to see the movie Fireproof last night. It is a must see by all firefighters male and female alike. I am not a born again Christian or a "bible thumper". But after 3 divorces, I figured if I want this relationship to work, it was worth two hours of my time. I am so glad I did. While I can still stand here and tell you that all 3 divorces were not my fault, I know what I will change about me and my girlfriend has an idea of what to expect from me after a bad shift and all the other stressors we face. If you can deal with some poor acting and just watch it for the story line I think you will be very impressed. Do yourself and your spouse a favor, go see this movie. What do you have to lose? A couple hours..........

Donnie Bathje
Captain
North River Fire District
Palmetto, FL

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Capt. I had planned on seeing the movie but have really not seen it advertised in my area. I do plan on purchasing it when available on dvd too. Thanks for the info on the movie.
LOL I do find the post funny.. Sorry for your bad luck.. But being a man and telling this story...Kudo's too you.... I hope you know that we all have stressful jobs.. I work 16 hour shifts some times.. I work nights all the time and I have terrible shifts... But still waiting on the nursing movie to come out... I am in divorce number two........ I do believe some of it was my fault.......A couple of hours in a movie theater is not going to change you,or the way things play out....
yes I've heard it is an awesome movie, and Iplan on going to watch it next week:)
The description I read on another place for this movie said that the firefighting part was more a vehicle for the 'saving of a relationship' than the main thrust of the movie. The person writing didn't think much of it as a firefighting movie. That's not what will keep me away from it though. I'm not in a relationship and can't see myself being that way again. And religious movies are just not for me.

For those that are that way inclined, go for it! It might open your eyes to some ways of improving your relationship, and that be nothing but good. I think I'm with Annes last sentence though, a single movie is unlikely to cause any real change.

See Anne, I can agree with you, it's just that we don't always see things the same way :)
I'm looking for a drive-in movie theater, don't think many are left, to take my wife to see this movie. Hope it has an intermission like to old days. After all I do have a camper shell with curtains on my pick up, very comfy back there. Oops, thinking like a man, sorry. TCSS
I went with my husband, and my friend and her husband to see this movie this past weekend. My husband and I, and my friend are all firefighters (her husband is not). It was a good movie. It is obviously not a super high budget film, but is a solidly entertaining movie anyway. It is thought provoking and hopefully a little enlightening. It does have a few exciting action scenes, but is not dominated by them. Without too much scrutiny, the fire department scenes seem to be fairly realistic.
We enjoyed it and I will probably buy it when it comes out on DVD.

You can find a theater on the website:

http://www.fireproofthemovie.com/
See this is where I get irritated.

We all learn differently, we all have seminal moments in our lives that can and do make or break us.

A great example is my cousin a former field medic and firefighter, now RT was days away from taking his own life. I had no idea and he was my closest friend.
For him, Rocky III was this moment. I know it was not the best of the Rocky franchise, but something in that movie made him change his mind. He went from suicidal to this Atlas in less than a year, and even made the varsity football team 2 years later. This was a scrawny, suicidal kid who thought life was pointless, went and saw a movie and turned his life around. And it was just a movie...

So to say one movie or two hours is not going to change someone is just b.s., who are you to know what will or wont change someones life.
Sounds like this might be an even more interesting movie than I had originally thought. Unfortunately for me, I will have to wait till it is out since there is no theater in the area playing it. At least now I know to get myself on athe pre-release list at the local movie store so I can see it right away. Props for being able to be open about yourself and yourlife as well, not many could or would.
i went and seen FIREPROOF with my girlfriend its worth 2 hours to watch
I wish it were showing in this neck of the woods!!! Have to wait til it comes out on DVD. If you liked it, go rent Facing the Giants....was a really good movie too. Has a lot to say!!!! I can't wait to see this one too....
I totally agree on the drive-in movie theatre, have many memories taking my wife of 28 years to the drive in to see movies, remember the intermission but I was usually the one elected to go and get the popcorn and soda, but your post did bring back some cool memories of walking past rows of cars and if memory serves me correctly, think I do remember one the campers rocking back and forth... could it have been... you?
that's because you are a sensitive guy Justin... you should tell your girlfriend that she does not know how good she has it!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service