As careers and volunteer firefighters alike we all know that physical fitness plays a vital role in our overall performance on the job.

Needed to shape up, and drop a decent amount of weight myself,
I'm looking to you guys and gals for advice. What would be the best
program to lose weight, bulk up a little on the muscle, and build endurance all together. I'm ready to do whatever it takes.

I would love to hear stories that have worked for others, or programs that you guys are currently trying. I'm looking for any info, resources, trail-and-error studies, etc.

I have a home gym, ab lounger, treadmill, resistance bands, etc.

I'm especially looking for examples/experience for a good diet plan.

I look forward to hearing from yall :)

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm no picture of perfect health, but I would say cardio is the way to go for endurance and weight loss. I try to jog at least a mile a day (3 miles a shift). If your knees hurt when you run, like mine, I recommend using an eliptical machine. I haven't had any problems with my knees since I've been using it. They are expensive so I wouldn't try to go out and by one immediately, but you can usually find them at your local gym. It feels awkward at first, but if you'll keep going for about 15 minutes the movement becomes more natural. As far as diet goes, reduce as much as possible your intake of carbohydrates. This has been tough for me (I have a bit of a sweet tooth) but I have noticed a big change in a short amount of time. You can still eat as much meat and vegetables as you want within reason but if you remove the sweets, sugar, bread, pasta, and potatoes you will still lose weight.
I have served 24 years in the National Guard and have had to stay in pretty good shape, the best thing for me to keep weight off has been running. There is a web site from the NVFC about Heart Healthy Firefighters you might check it out. Also they have a heart healthy cookbook, all you pay is the shipping.
http://www.healthy-firefighter.org/
Good luck !!!
Has anyone else on here tried P90x?
I mostly do bodyweight exercises that I can do at the house or station quick without equipment. Plus, it's building functional strength. Push-ups, crunches, pull-ups etc...I think the main thing is to find something you actually like and will stick to so if that's a treadmill great if it's swimming then do that just stay active. You'll feel better.
Rebekah,

Probably the best way to build-up what you need to be a better fit firefighter is to focus on functional strength versus static strength exercises. I do a lot of circuit training using a combination of different exercises that simulate the real-world. Also, do some hiking with a backpack that has some weight in it. Go up hills and such. If you don't have hills, go to a local high school and see if you can use the stairs at the football stadium.

The circuit training should focus on all areas of your body - including the core. Squats will work the lower part of the core (glutes) as will hill sprints. If you have an old tire - you can use that to do lifting exercises. It'll challenge keeping your core fit in addition to building up the rest of your body. Do the traditional stuff too - like pushups, pullups, leg raises, squat thrusts, mountain climbers, crab walk, bear crawl, etc...

As far as your diet is concerned, make sure you eat a good breakfast, a medium lunch, and a small dinner. Eat a small amount in-between each main meal as to keep your metabolic rate up, okay? A good breakfast should include protein and complex carbs along with some fruit.

Have fun with this.

Cheers,
Bob :-)
There are a few of us at our station that do crossfit. Go to www.crossfit.com workout of the day is posted daily and all can be altered to your strength. Works cardion endurance and strength all in one.
CROSSFIT! its awesome!
Cross Fit is huge in our department, great results ,visit the web site.
p90x, martial arts classes, mountain trail running, mountain biking have been working for me. Just keep moving.
I love P90X! The plyo and kempo are awesome at conditioning for firefighting. At a fire several months ago I saw the benefits of yoga while working from a ground ladder. I really did not like the yoga much but it sure improved my strength while working in an awkward position. So, I highly recommend this program for firefighters.
CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO!!!!!!!!!!! We have been utlizing a tire work out latley.

We have and oversized truck tire (about a 36 superswamper) and we add dumbells to it in order to add weight. We tied some rope to it and put it over our shoulders and sprint with it abotu 5 times. We then take the weight out and hit it with a sledge hammer (like venting a roof) for 3 minutes with a 1 min rest for 3 sets. Then we do a seated row about 5 times, then we do a standing row. We are always tryin to come up with new work outs to use itit has been the best and cheapest workout tool I have ever had.

I also take martial arts (Jiu Jitsu, and Kick Boxing) and have found that they improve my cardio but its not work related the tire pull and sledge hit have done wonders for me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service