There has been a lot of discussion here on the FFN about spelling and grammar usage. Having been off from work for the past four months, I came across this memo from one of our investigators and thought I'd ask you if your department has the same level of awareness to be grammatically vigilant.

The investigator offers one suggestion for spell checking while writing reports, this could also affect your pc's ability to underline misspelled words when posting on FFN. I wanted to note that if you are using MacBook Pro, place your cursor over the red-underlined (actually red dots) and press ctrl, a window pops up and offers suggestions for correct spelling.

I hope this is one of those "helpful posts". TCSS, Mike from Santa Barbara

"I have recently assumed responsibility for providing reports to Insurance Companies, Law Firms, and other subjects requesting your reports. Many reports, primarily in the "narrative" section, contain significant spelling and/or grammar errors. One method to improve the reports is to use lower case text, which will enable the spell checker resource. When you enter all "CAPS" spell checker ignores the errors. I plan to provide further information regarding reports and other investigation issues in the near future, but did not want to delay notification to those who may benefit from this simple resource.

I certainly hope this message is written correctly; if not, please disregard the information above."

Views: 798

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At different levels we are all guilty as charged on this one. Spell and grammar check are great tools but doesn't work well for conciseness. Here's my suggestion. When writing an official document, let a uninvolved official person read it before sending it for distribution. If it doesn't make sense to that person I'm sure your "audience" will be confused too. I have found that we become "snow blinded" the longer a document becomes while writing it. That is SOP in the military and should work in our line of work too.

PS No one read this before posting which probably proves my point. Haha
You make a great piont Mike, Thanks
Agreed with setting priorities. Reading is reading and I personally dislike trying to make sense of confusing writing.
Watch out, Cap or I'll bump up the OTHER discussion on this... if it's still open.
I think that not everyone is good at it,does that mean they can not post on here?? Really on a forum on a firefighting.... There are times that I am at work and the computer I am on will only let my type with caps on.. So then I caught crap about yelling really on a firefighter forum yelling about what this is suppose to be fun and to share ideas.. so maybe not everyone is so spell happy my self at times I look back and go hummmmmm,but does that mean stop posting.. To me all your doing is scaring off people who like this forum.. To be made fun in public shame on you all... Read the post if you don't get don't answer it... I have read alot of posts on here and some I ask myself why,but you know what this is what it is about..so everyone stop being english teachers and go back to posting.. i know i will catch crap for this post ,but you what I don't care..
Very well said by the responders. Yes proper spelling on an official document/statement is very pertinent. It shows proffessionalism and a sense of pride. Articulation on the other hand is a difficult thing for some. My mother was an honors english teacher. I grew up with her constantly critiquing my writing skills. I still find myself making some common mistakes occasionally.
In our district we have QA meetings addressing spelling and grammar discrepencies. We sit here on these forums and debate about the importance of good grammar. Then we sit there and wonder why our children have such difficulty with it in school. Be a positive role model to the future. If you have known difficulty with spelling and grammar have a tutor come in to the firehouse and assist. Pick up one of your kids school books and review it. Purchase a dictionary, anything and everything to improve your abilities. We lead by example in the fire service, our own families learn from our lead to. Do it for your kids. Be safe and learn something new today.
Not long ago, Fire Siren had a thread on this very subject, but threw in grammar, along with the spelling.
I believe that what we write here, how we write it, how we spell it and what is our intended result of our comment, is very important, if we are trying to project the persons that we are.
Spelling, puncuation, grammar and sentence structure shouldn't be hit and miss. I have seen many claim that, the reason that they type in all lower case, use no punctuation, run their sentences on and on and bring a certain "street talk" to their post is because they wanted to get their thoughts down before they forgot them.
Have you tried doing it in a Word document and then cutting and pasting it to the window?
I am not going to assail anyone in their thread for any of it. But, if I can't understand what they are saying, then I am going to tell them that I don't understand what they are saying. If it's too far off of the scale, then I will simply move on to the next topic.
I blame the state of our language skills on two reasons; ignorance and laziness.
Ironically, both of those will also get you KILLED in the fire service.
So, really; how important is spelling? I don't know. Let's ask the HazMat guy!
TCSS.
Art
Capt 723,

You write well. You must do what I do. I read what I typed before I hit the "Add Reply" button. If I am in hurry I'll wait until I have the time. No offense intended toward any one else, I'm just a mentor and try to help. TCSS everyone.
Thanks for illustrating my point.
Really?
I was just saying that yea when my 19 year old writes something down I would like to make sence of it, but as I read before this is about being a family and supporting each other.. So someone who's skills are not up to par in the writing dept.. What sorry but no posting because the english police are out... I just think that attacking people on a forum for bad spelling or not correct text of content.. Is pretty funny and sad...
Naw I 'm a pretty big girl .. I have always been a lousy speller,but I get my point across.. Sometimes I am in a hurry because I am at work with 16 pt's of my own trying to deal with things. This has become my safe passage and piece of mind at night when working.. Keeps me awake... Tit tat yea I don't care pick away. I was thinking about someone who is alittle more shy who may not post because of a insult.. thats all..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service