Hey everyone, am a female firefighter in ireland and am so ashamed of the reaction i have gotten when i attend a call, because i am woman.
People assuse that u are not near as compented as man to do and finish, rescue, safe, or do ur damn hardest for all of the aove as man .
please let me no if it is not just here.

but here i still think women are not accepted fully as male firefighter, because they think there will always be something we cant handle,

listen up we can take and deal with everything alot better than men fact

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't let the pendulem swing to far the other way Tasha. I understand your frustration however nothing constructive wil come from making statements about being able to handle "everything" better than men. "As good as" may gain more understanding from the wider community & firefighters in general. In the meantime girl, put the head down, get on with the job at hand & make your point through actions. Attitudes must be changing or you wouldn't have got to be a firefighter in the first place.
yes sorry but over here its v much a mans job so men u walk in to their terrority u have to try do things alittle better jus to show them u r up to stratch, i myself wld say am jus nearly as gud as the men but each sex brings a certain quality to the job, where i might not have the hrs of strengh as man, i can offer emotional support to causlities and be the calming infulences when the boys get stressed, but still completely fulfil my job
Hello Tasha. I'm half Irish myself. Anyway, I'm proud to say that we don't have that problem at my F.D. We have 3 female firefighters and they are treated as the equals that they are. It's a shame that the same attitude isn't shared by your brother firefighters on the emerald isle! Hopefully their attitudes will change when they you in action. Stay safe!
thank u very much, it has taken a long time to prove myself here in ireland as i am the only female firefighter in wicklow(county where i am from) but have done some resourse to irish felmale firefighters and there is only 43 of us,

I am just bout to finish my instructors courses and become the first female instructor in ireland
Tasha, I fully agree with Rocket..Don't get upset, and just do the very best that you can do..show everyone that you can handle anything that is expected of you and the respect will come..I was the 1st female inducted into my Dept..that was 25yrs ago. Lots of gals have followed in my area..there are still the mens only depts., but they show me respect because i have earned it..Keep working hard, stay smart, and stay safe girl..Cathy
thanks cathy its nice to no girls have gone b4 me and made a stand, ireland is v small country but i need to show that i am capable of my job, but when u get A BA set pulled off ur back because ur a women plants the seed of doubt if i have the stength to fight b4 u tackle the fire never mind when u in the thick of it
My Irish blood keeps me going so I expect the same from you..nothing less woman..just remember..some guys will always be protectors..thinking they are helping us..its not personal, its just the way they are..just keep showing what you can do..good luck with class..make the girls proud..Cathy
will do girl thanks for the support xx
I am sorry to hear that you get that reaction when you go on a call. I was one of two women on my last FD. Im sure its not just where you are, but I have never run in to that problem. Well thats not ture, one year during Fire Prevention Week, we were at our town Elm. School and I was in the process of taking off my gear and one little boy, was shocked to see that I was a woman, he said "your a girl, girls cant be firemen!" I told him he was right, I was a fire fighter, thankfully my Chief was standing next to me, and he told the little boy, shes one of the ones I would want getting me out and saving my house.
I believe that as long as you train as hard as you play, it shouldnt matter if you are a woman or a man. Ive seen women do things men cant on the fire ground.
I suggest standing your ground, get the training and continue on, if this is what you want to do. Some people will always assume that you are not trained, just prove them wrong.
And please if you need help doing something ask for it. Just keep it up, once they see what you can do, their looks will become looks of envey!!
Make us Girls proud!!
Anna

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service