How is the flag on your uniform? We have ours with the stars forward. I have been told it was wrong but as long as i can remember i have been told it should never retreat.

Views: 322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes the flag always flys away towards your back, like your running forward with the flag.
Here is some info:
Feel free to check out the website www.usflag.org

Why is the Flag patch "backwards" on Military uniforms? Following is a quote from the Department of Defense website...
"Thank you for your inquiry about the proper placement of the American flag on the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces.
Army Regulation 670-1, “Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,” updated most recently September 5, 2003, addresses explicitly the proper and lawful placement of the U.S. flag patch on the Army uniform.
The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that “the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the ‘reverse side flag’.”

For more information on Army Regulation 670-1 please visit the following web site, http://www.usapa.army.mil/pdffiles/r670_1.pdf
You are correct. The stars are always forward. Pam has it correct in her post. It is actually unlawful to have it on with the stars to your back.
Section 7c of the flag code states the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. and the other time is if the US flag is flown at half staff in the presence of flags of other nations that are not being flown at half staff.
For any Aussies reading this and wondering. Our flag is always to be displayed as though the flag pole is to your left as you look at the flag. Also, it should never be defaced by having any other emblem or wording placed on it.
The flag is incorporated into our patch, so we don't wear a flag
On the subject of flags, did you know that the American flag flown upside down is a signal for distress? Has anyone taken a look at the French flag? Its the same either way.

Just a joke. My disclaimer.
Not a joke actually. It's apparently stated in your flag etiquette that the flag can be flown unpside down to indicate distress. That isn't an international convention though. It may be recognised by people from other countries as a distress call, but I think that many people are only really aware of their own national flag. For instance, without looking it up, how many readers can tell me which way the colours are on the German flag? Three horizontal stripes, yellow black and red. But which way? That's why an upside down national flag isn't a good distress signal. In fact we're told NOT to use the flag in that way!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service